Color phase bears…post ‘em if ya got ‘em

Rogue Bay

WKR
Sorry if this thread has already been covered, but I thought it would be cool to see the different variations in black bear color phases out there. Unfortunately I don’t have photos of some of the coolest bears I’ve personally seen.

The prettiest bear I’ve ever seen was a medium sized chocolate of sorts. He was the color of hot chocolate on his legs/belly and gradually became paler higher up on his body. His back and the top of his hams were the color of the foam of a cup of hot chocolate. There was no obvious color break, just a gradual fade. I saw this bear twice but not in my effective range either time.

Another time I saw a smallish medium brown phase that was covered over the entire body with blonde tipped guard hairs, even the face. It almost looked disheveled, like it just rolled out of bed.

I’ve only seen two blonde bears, one of which I could have shot (always been my dream bear) but this little guy probably wasn’t much over 80 pounds. Had him at 35 yards!

I’ve taken a lot of color phase bears of various shades of brown and reddish. The photo below is probably the prettiest bear I’ve taken but the photo doesn’t do him justice. He was a golden cinnamon color but dulled out and darkened somewhat in the photo.

What have you all seen and/or harvested?

Attachments

• 0A65857F-8743-4010-9FCE-4C1B766EE191.jpeg
    0A65857F-8743-4010-9FCE-4C1B766EE191.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 207
OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
I’ve taken several over the years but none have been as pretty as this one. Took me two years to finally trick him after many days of trying. Bears of this color are very uncommon in Interior Alaska where I hunt. View attachment 411852
That’s a beautiful bear! I’d say that’s a pretty rare color anywhere lol. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Been after this guy for 2 years after first seeing him, busted me with 1 more tree to get around for and easy 50 yard shot
That’s the stuff dreams are made of right there. Big bear and incredible color. I love the red/blonde combo. I hope you get him and please post pics when you do! Thanks for sharing him with us.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Been after this guy for 2 years after first seeing him, busted me with 1 more tree to get around for and easy 50 yard shot
In that frontal shot it looks like he has a lot of white on his chest and maybe down his right leg? Or am I imagining that?

Osprey87

FNG
In that frontal shot it looks like he has a lot of white on his chest and maybe down his right leg? Or am I imagining that?
That patch is really blonde, it was the way the light was hitting the bear in the evening

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
This is a smaller bear, but was with my wife (in the photo), when we found this guy. It was a unique opportunity to take a bear whose color is the same as her hair. I have come across a few of this color phase in the same area of the Rocky Mountains over the years.

Attachments

• P5094562_1.JPG
    P5094562_1.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 300
OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
This is a smaller bear, but was with my wife (in the photo), when we found this guy. It was a unique opportunity to take a bear whose color is the same as her hair. I have come across a few of this color phase in the same area of the Rocky Mountains over the years.
Wow! Incredible color! A nice blonde (bear) has always been my biggest hunting goal. I live on the coast now so I’m afraid that ship has sailed for me. I hope you had that beauty rugged!