Colorado 17 NR preference points

I'm looking to burn my Colorado deer points next year. I live in PA so scouting will be tough. I will get to the unit early to scout before the hunt and plan to hunt the whole season. I'm looking at 66 2nd season or 54 or 55 3rd season. Any body hunt these units in the last couple years that will give me some direction? I am not locked on the GB but it seems like the best location. Just seeing that country will be a bonus.

sndmn11

WKR
If you have that many points, you might be able to find adjoining units later in the season. It looks like 67 third season would have drawn with your NR points.

OP
Y
If you have that many points, you might be able to find adjoining units later in the season. It looks like 67 third season would have drawn with your NR points.
Yeah, I'm afraid that it will jump a lot next year. That's why I was thinking 54 or 55. I think I will draw one of thoughts tags.

sndmn11

WKR
Yeah, I'm afraid that it will jump a lot next year. That's why I was thinking 54 or 55. I think I will draw one of thoughts tags.

I think it is a crap shoot. You might see stabilization for the next few years with some folks believing that all the big bucks will be taken at a greater rate than before because of the season date push back.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The speculation is all over the board on what will happen with CO in the coming years, reality is no one knows. Pick a unit that suits your needs hunting wise and that you have 1 more point than needed to draw and go hunting. Remember big ol bucks live in every unit.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wasting 17 points would be worse. If you are not hiring a guide it would be smart to take a week THIS year and scope out a few units you have your eye on for NEXT year during the 3rd season dates next year will have.

OP
Y
Wasting 17 points would be worse. If you are not hiring a guide it would be smart to take a week THIS year and scope out a few units you have your eye on for NEXT year during the 3rd season dates next year will have.
That is a great point. We may just do that. I'll look, maybe we can get a cow tag just in case.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve got 15 points myself that I am struggling what to do with. I feel your pain :)

The hunt I choose will not be the first time I am in the unit for sure.

picketuc

FNG
I'm looking to burn my Colorado deer points next year. I live in PA so scouting will be tough. I will get to the unit early to scout before the hunt and plan to hunt the whole season. I'm looking at 66 2nd season or 54 or 55 3rd season. Any body hunt these units in the last couple years that will give me some direction? I am not locked on the GB but it seems like the best location. Just seeing that country will be a bonus.

If you decide on unit 55, shoot me a message and I can let you know of some general areas to look. I was in there in 2019 and saw some incredible mule deer.

OP
Y
If you decide on unit 55, shoot me a message and I can let you know of some general areas to look. I was in there in 2019 and saw some incredible mule deer.
Thank you very much picketuc!! I sent a PM.

Jd259

WKR
17 is a lot of points to waste on 66 second season I drew that tag this year with half that many points but I’d be happy to report back with how my hunt goes and what I see... I agree with above on trying to draw 67 third season there really similar units but 67 is within your grasp with 17 points...

OP
Y
JD259...that would be great. Thank you. I think I will put in for a third season. I also think there will be a big jump in points next year.