Colorado 1st Rifle at Flat Top Wilderness advice/experience?

jake23

FNG
Gene I spend all of Sept up there every year for the past 10 years. If ya want shoot me a pm and Ill try and help with your plan.
any chance you would be willing to help another first timer at Flat Tops for first rifle?

Sorry Slugz, it won’t let me PM you yet my account isn’t old enough and I need to post more for it to be unlocked. I am interested in discussing with you, but let me speak with my buddy and see what questions we might have. I appreciate your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going with a buddy to same area with the 11 tag, both first timers. We plan to hike in 4 miles and tent camp starting a couple days before season but should have horses to pack out meat if we are lucky (I have a contact, just have to confirm with him). I'm picking up my hunting partner the morning of the 14th at DEN, and I'm driving out starting on the 12th from NC. For me, it's a trip of a lifetime, but one that I would like to repeat every few years. We've been trying to go for 3 years but I kept having surgery or treatment for a very annoying but not life threatening cancer.

I'm still working on locations although I have a general idea of where we want to set up camp. I'm going to call the hunt planners this week to see what they can add to my plan. I wish I could p.m. someone as well because it's not often you have people volunteering to help first timers.

Slugz if you still want to impart any knowledge I'm all ears... [email protected]

Last edited:

Slugz

WKR
The local CPW/USFS office can give you a map with outfitter camps marked on it, they permits are good for certain locations. From there it's fairly easy to figure out where they start out (if they aren't coming off a private ranch).

I'm going with a buddy to same area with the 11 tag, both first timers. We plan to hike in 4 miles and tent camp starting a couple days before season but should have horses to pack out meat if we are lucky (I have a contact, just have to confirm with him). I'm picking up my hunting partner the morning of the 14th at DEN, and I'm driving out starting on the 12th from NC. For me, it's a trip of a lifetime, but one that I would like to repeat every few years. We've been trying to go for 3 years but I kept having surgery or treatment for a very annoying but not life threatening cancer.

I'm still working on locations although I have a general idea of where we want to set up camp. I'm going to call the hunt planners this week to see what they can add to my plan. I wish I could p.m. someone as well because it's not often you have people volunteering to help first timers.

Slugz if you still want to impart any knowledge I'm all ears... [email protected]
Pm sent

OP
G

Wow that’s awesome! It sounds like you guys have your trip pretty dialed in. I’m thinking of getting up there a week early to scout and fly fish the many mountain lakes up there. I believe we have a pack out situation figured out as well, which sounds like a great service up there.

I believe I can PM you, I’ll give it a shot.

Aviator

WKR
I’ve got the outfitter camp map, the entire flat tops is saturated with camps. That being said I’ve killed some elk in there but the last couple of times I was there during first season it was ridiculous how many hunters I saw. One thing I noticed was the drop camp guys usually don’t get far from camp, at one time I could capitalize on this because I knew where the camps were located however anymore hunters are everywhere in there.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I are going to be hunting the first rifle season in the flat top wilderness, but we are both out of starters and will not be able to visit before season. I have never been to Colorado, and am unsure of what to expect as far as weather, difficulty hunting in the area, number of other hunters, how much hiking should we be expecting, and any other general advice for that area would be greatly appreciated!! I am also considering leasing some horses and hunting horseback, is that possible in that area, or is it too steep, or will the snow be too high at that point?

Not sure what FS road you're planning on using as access, but North Derby road into Stump Park can be an absolute bitch. At least it was last Sept. in my opinion. We encountered a crap ton of recreational hikers/campers, who came in from the Stillwater Reservoir trailhead.

LA Hunter

FNG
Not sure what FS road you're planning on using as access, but North Derby road into Stump Park can be an absolute bitch. At least it was last Sept. in my opinion. We encountered a crap ton of recreational hikers/campers, who came in from the Stillwater Reservoir trailhead.
We travelled that road in 1st Rifle's Stump Park and hiked to one of the lakes to the north. Caught plenty of fish, saw moose, deer, and plenty of elk signs. No outfitters were at the trailhead, but we did see a wall tent that must have originated from the Stillwater TH.

On the way out, popped a tire on the road going too fast up the hill; take your time and enjoy the scenery. Part of the road travels on a knife-edge ridge and it's gorgeous.

davsco

WKR
i hunted the flattops in 2019, first rifle. serious elevation changes! had an outfitter with some 15 horses/hunters go thru past me in and out. maybe 5-6 other folks hiking in as well. so i wouldn't say crowded at all. i only heard a couple of shots opening day and very few after that. first evening i think the outfitters pulled out 2, max 3 bulls. i had a pretty good glassing point but didn't see jack. i think day 2 it snowed a couple inches. hiking up and in wasn't too too bad, but that evening it sorta melted and coming back down was prob the worst hike i've had, zero traction and pounds of mud/goo stuck on my boots. never been more totally wiped out.flattops.jpg

Last edited:

aljons33

FNG
I alway hike in and out. Mainly target getting at least 2 miles in. Packed out 6 elk in this area. We tent camp near road. Horse beat the shit out of trails. Can i take a mountian bike in these trails.

BDRam16

WKR
I alway hike in and out. Mainly target getting at least 2 miles in. Packed out 6 elk in this area. We tent camp near road. Horse beat the shit out of trails. Can i take a mountian bike in these trails.
Not in a wilderness area no.