Colorado 1st Rifle clothing

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Have not been on a rifle hunt before and would like to hear opinions of what I have planned for layers so far. We are not backpacking in but may spike camp a night or two. We will be in South Central CO Oct 8-14, basecamp at 9,500ft and expect to top out in some spots at 11,500. Local wildlife biologist says it rarely snows until November.

Base layers: Sitka Core Lightweight ss top and pants; Cabela's ECWCS heavyweight top and bottom for sleeping or freak cold days
Mid layers: Sitka Core Midweight zip-T, Cabela's Merino Tech zip-T (heavy fleece)
Insulation: FirstLite Uncompahgre
Pants: Prana Stretch Zion, Cabela's Scentinel softshell
Gaiters: OR Verglas
Rain Gear: Cabela's Rain Space jacket and pants
Socks: Smartwool Hiker Medium and Light
Boots: Lowa Camino GTX

I also have a ScentLok Thunderhead parka. It makes a great shell when it snows or the wind whips up, but it is heavy and doesn't pack down well. I wear it whitetail hunting. I'm thinking I should bring it in case all hell breaks loose.

Right now I'm mainly concerned with what pants I have. My legs run pretty hot and I think we could be covering a lot of ground here. Is it worth ponying up for something like the Sitka Timberline or Mountain Pant?

Laramie

WKR
Plan on weather ranging from 15-75 degrees and you should be good. Seriously, it changes up there a lot and it can, and does, snow in October- especially at 11k'. I bring a lot of different clothes for base camp and make adjustments as the forecast changes. Keep in mind, even on relatively warm days, it can go from 65 degrees to snowing in a matter of an hour.

Carr5vols

WKR
My opinion no on the pants, I run the EB Techs with merino base in the mornings, then take them off as the day heats up. Thi is roughly same elevation you are hunting.

Locals told me 2 years ago that "it never snows this much in early October" after I was greeted by 10" of snow at 9K during 1st rifle. The 2nd day of the hunt, it was 14 degrees at sunrise.

Be prepared for snow.

I wore my Columbia wool coat over several layers, but honestly, when I was hiking in or out, I was down to a t-shirt at times.

It really depends a lot on how much precip you get, and how much you plan to be on the move.

IMO It's not the snow I worry about as much as cold rain at altitude. You gotta have a way to stay dry if the storms move in on you.

ChrisAU

WKR
The Uncompahgre is not warm enough for what I experienced last year, IMO, and I run hot. Where I was it got to -10 or so at 10k the first night. It snowed heavily the 2nd day after the end of season, our final day packing our, but was generally dry until then. I’d look for a warmer down jacket and have a light rain shell should you need to block precipitation from it. That said, if you take two mid to heavy mid layers that may cover that anyway.

Poser

WKR
Timberlines can be too hot for October, or not. Really depends on how the forecast looks. More years than not, some leg ventilation is a big +. I’d consider the Kuiu Attacks or similar to be more versatile, but I have worn Timberlines during 1st rifle on cold years. Also, agree with one of the other posters that the Uncompraghre is not warm enough for your primary insulation. You need a robust puffy because it can be cold AF. Also, I would ditch that ScentLok piece: too bulky and heavy. A simple rain shell over a puffy will be lighter, more effective and more versatile.