Colorado 1st Season Rifle/clothing

GSPMich

FNG
I’ll be hunting this season in the area around unit 71 and was wondering about clothing for the hunt.

The hunt is through an outfitter. We’ll be using trucks/quads/SxSs. And I believe most of the hunting is done around 8700 feet.

What clothing options do I need for a hunt like this?

Some things I already own for hunting at home, 2 prs. UA base bottoms, a heavy pair of Carhart base bottoms, 4 different merino tops in 2 weights, light and heavy. I figure I can probably create a base layer system with those options. I like the UA bottoms and want to stick with those instead of merino.

Outer wear is Where I’m a bit unsure. I’ve got light rain wear, I own a FL Sawtooth top, a FL Uncom. Puffy and another EB puffy that I believe is 650 fill. I also own a few pair of EB hiking pants.

I also own a vast array of deer hunting gear, fleeces, jackets, pants, etc that I can take with me but would rather stay away from for primary use purposes on this trip because it all heavy.

I’m wondering what some of you experts think, am I good to go or is there something missing that I can’t piece together with by deer hunting gear. The one thing I think I’ll purchase for sure between now and then is a pair of EB fleece lined guide pants once they get more sizes in stock in the fall.

Poser

WKR
EB pants and a pair of baselayer bottoms will be fine. I highly recommend zipoff bottoms, though.

A light and heavy merino top + rain jacket and puffy combo should do it. Since you’re luxury hunting, maybe throw in a fleece vest, too.

OP
G

GSPMich

FNG
Why not call and ask the outfitter?

His gear list was very vague, long underwear, hunting pants, hunting jacket, gloves, hat...

And outdoor forums are a great place for a guy to inquire about info he isn’t familiar with, so I’m taking advantage of this forum to do that.

ericF

WKR
I would personally freeze in Eddie Bauer pants. Two years ago around that elevation we had a foot of snow for first season. I had on kenai zip off bottoms, kuiu guide pants, peloton 118 as baselayer. First lite fuse merino top, peloton 240 zip, guide jacket, and then super down pro jacket, and I was still cold just sitting there all day. Last year the temps weren't as bad, but I would prepare for the cold and not use it.

Eric Samsung 133.jpg

It could be 70° or it could be 0° first season. Check the forecast right before you go and be prepared for highs or lows a little outside those predictions.

His gear list was very vague, long underwear, hunting pants, hunting jacket, gloves, hat...

And outdoor forums are a great place for a guy to inquire about info he isn’t familiar with, so I’m taking advantage of this forum to do that.

Well that was pretty helpful from your outfitter. Plan for the worst weather conditions.

Could be 80 degrees or 15 degrees. Every year is different. Good luck, alot of elk and deer in that unit.

Your base layer and your outer layer at the moat important. Taking both Light and heavy base layers are a good start. And merino wool socks are the only way to go. Another important thing is boots. I usually take 2 pair. One noninsulated and the other with 400-600 grms of insulation. Rarely need the insulated ones but as stated, there could be a foot of snow. They need to be well broken in. Keep your feet happy and you will be happy. The next most important thing is rain gear. I always carry packable rain gear (gore-Tex type) and they need to be big enough to go on over your other layers. Regardless of claims, breathable raingear doesn’t breathe that well. And you will only put it on when it turns wet. Then it becomes your most valuable piece of equipment!

The rest is layers. Jeans and flannel shirts may be all you need, but I have some insulated pants and a vest and puffy jacket in my pack.

And you will need a hunting daypack/backpack. That is where my rain gear and warmer stuff goes until I need it. I also never leave the truck without a basic survival kit ( compass, firestarter, etc) and of course, water. I use a daypack with a Built in water bladder.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You need to have a liner sock for you socks, not for warmth but to help keep blisters a bay. Solid blaze orange hat & vest. I'd stay away from anything cotton except for when at camp. Good luck.

As far as cotton, the only hard and fast rule is never wear cotton as a base layer. In clear, warmer weather I have many times wore jeans and a flannel shirt over my long johns. Over the years I have upgraded to things like Microtex for those layers. But I still wear cotton as a middle layer sometimes. Keep it dry and it is fine.

Your outfitter should know gear better than most people in here. If his gear list is vague ask him to elaborate, ur paying him to not only outfit you on the hunt but for the hunt. Part of an outfitters job is to prepare you for the hunt with them as well. Ask him what he wears on the hunt, if he wears it then you should be on the right track. My clients ask for a suggested gear list, then if they have more questions I give them the list of gear I’m packing for that particular hunt. I don’t want to be 2 hours into a hunt and you quit cause ur cold or wet. An outfitters gear may be unconventional BUT guarantee it works. Nothing worse than a guide calling the hunt quits cause he is cold or wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
I could be way off but I think you’ll find lots of outfitters and guides are not obsessed with clothing like the average rokslider. I’m betting that the list he gave you is about as detailed as he thinks about. Maybe not.

Sounds like it’s a drive to camp you should be able to take just about whatever you want. Take the advice from the guys above be prepared for anything from sunny and warm to snow and cold.

OP
G

GSPMich

FNG
Thanks to all that chimed in. It looks like avg. temps for this time of year in the area are 36 for a low and around 66 for a daily high. I think with the stuff I mentioned I will be fine in avg. temps, its the extreme weather I'm concerned about.

As far as the outfitter, he's been around a while. He's the type that is almost all repeat clients, he doesn't advertise, and I'm pretty sure he and his guides are types that will be trekking around in jeans and Carhartt farm jackets. I'm not a gear head by any means but if I can get away with not running around in heavy whitetail clothing then great.

So in the event that we get below avg. weather, is there a cheap option anyone can come up with for bottoms to avoid having to hike in heavy whitetail pants?

Buy a set of decent mid weight pants, with some water resistance, waterproof boots (leather holds up best imo) and leg gaiters. Have extra pairs of long underware to layer, and a pair of frog togg waterproof pants. I use the pants to sit on, a pillow, and when I get a little extra chill or it’s getting overly wet i wear them. A liner sock, then mid weight sock, and heavy socks for when it’s real cold. This combo should keep you warm from 40 to -10. The frogg toggs are also great for wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk