Colorado 2020-2026 Regulations

Felix40

WKR
It does say finalized. Looks like not a lot is changing except making archery shorter which seems strange to me.

I believe it's final. They are just going to take it all from us one day at a time. It's pretty perturbing for those of us hoping for positive change and then we get handed this. A number of us were very vocal during the public opinion process and it was met with a dull thud. We were even asked if we'd like more time in August for archery hunting and then they pushed it back into Sept. The only universally good thing is that we asked for a lot more general opportunity on bear and that seems to have opened up some options. You'll notice in the wording for elk that the 'either sex' is being restricted, this is apparently for units where tourism has become a detriment to elk production.

You lost 2 days in archery, big deal, 2nd 3rd Rifle lost 2 day, elk get a lot more break between seasons. If your a true conservationist you will take this in stride and understand these changes were made more for the animals not for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk to an outfitter this afternoon in Denver on his way home from the big CPW meeting in Telluride. He stated that there was a big push back about 2nd season not having two weekends in it anymore. He said they changed it back to two weekends, but the break between 1st and 2nd season would be a total of 9 days. Instead of the proposed 6. It use to be 2. Looks the dates are being pushed back significantly.

Talk to an outfitter this afternoon in Denver on his way home from the big CPW meeting in Telluride. He stated that there was a big push back about 2nd season not having two weekends in it anymore. He said they changed it back to two weekends, but the break between 1st and 2nd season would be a total of 9 days. Instead of the proposed 6. It use to be 2. Looks the dates are being pushed back significantly.

So second rifle will be 9 days and be 9 days after first rifle? So technically 2nd Rifle will start on the weekend that was usually the 2nd weekend of the season. Interesting, I’m all for the break in between, 1. It gives the animals a break 2. As an outfitter it allows me to move camps In that time vs only having 2 days in between. But this is pushing the seasons real far into November, I’m gonna have to cut my 4th Rifle out or risk losing camps to the snow.

Marble

WKR
Kind of screws the entire dynamic of second season. I see one of the seasons goes from the 27th to November 2. Not happy...

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder what is the reasoning behind the shake up of the 2nd season.

More and more hunters were looking at that because of the dates and weekends. Weird.

cmush

Lil-Rokslider
If I’m reading this right is the 5 month cow tag being turned into a 2 month cow tag?

njdoxie

WKR
Kind of screws the entire dynamic of second season. I see one of the seasons goes from the 27th to November 2. Not happy...

How so? I hunt 2nd rifle, and it doesn’t change anything for me.

njdoxie

WKR
I believe it's final. They are just going to take it all from us one day at a time. It's pretty perturbing for those of us hoping for positive change and then we get handed this. A number of us were very vocal during the public opinion process and it was met with a dull thud. We were even asked if we'd like more time in August for archery hunting and then they pushed it back into Sept. The only universally good thing is that we asked for a lot more general opportunity on bear and that seems to have opened up some options. You'll notice in the wording for elk that the 'either sex' is being restricted, this is apparently for units where tourism has become a detriment to elk production.

There are 100 different aspects to this, all with different weights, it’s very complex balancing it all. And just because there were a number of very vocal people doesn’t mean they were advocating for the best outcome for all concerned including the animals.

Marble

WKR
How so? I hunt 2nd rifle, and it doesn’t change anything for me.

Fir me, and how I hunt those bigger mule deer, making the season start later changes the deer hunting. Second season can often be hunted at 11,500+ when the big bucks are still in their summer pattern. The later it is, the more likely storms have come through and pushed them all down. It already happens quite a bit like last year, so moving later seems to increase the likelihood of getting there and the deer have already moved. And I loose 2 days of hunting.

I do like the extra break the animals will get.

I'l probably change from second to first, year to year, depending on when second season starts.

There are 100 different aspects to this, all with different weights, it’s very complex balancing it all. And just because there were a number of very vocal people doesn’t mean they were advocating for the best outcome for all concerned including the animals.

You're absolutely right. The problem we see here in CO is that CPW is being coerced down the road paved by 1. the voting general public (non-hunters), and 2. profitiability. It is clear that the biology that they want to practice is overridden by factors that are not in the best interest of the wildlife.

Marble

WKR
You're absolutely right. The problem we see here in CO is that CPW is being coerced down the road paved by 1. the voting general public (non-hunters), and 2. profitiability. It is clear that the biology that they want to practice is overridden by factors that are not in the best interest of the wildlife.
I'm from Cali and have been watching this since the 90s. DFG has completely screwed the salmon populations and kill off a lot of hatchery fish annually. Then there's the dog band on mammals, no lion hunting, no lead bullets and I'm sure many more.

A couple decades ago the commission was made up of "hook and bullet" people that had sportsman in mind, as well as considering the benefits to the public at large. Science based, logical decisions were made. It's not entirely political because every issue isn't, but there are enough decisions made that it's obvious politics are being injected into an issue/topic where they shouldn't be.

This decision in CO doesnt seem political at all. And I have complained a bit, but really, you cant make everyone happy all of the time.

WKR
Fir me, and how I hunt those bigger mule deer, making the season start later changes the deer hunting. Second season can often be hunted at 11,500+ when the big bucks are still in their summer pattern. The later it is, the more likely storms have come through and pushed them all down. It already happens quite a bit like last year, so moving later seems to increase the likelihood of getting there and the deer have already moved. And I loose 2 days of hunting.

I do like the extra break the animals will get.

I'l probably change from second to first, year to year, depending on when second season starts.
There is no first season for deer. Seems like pushing the dates back is going to result in a lot more big bucks killed for a few years during the rut.

Did they triple the mountain lion quotas?

There is no first season for deer. Seems like pushing the dates back is going to result in a lot more big bucks killed for a few years during the rut.

Did they triple the mountain lion quotas?

No many lion units were cut for the 2019-2020 season

Sako76

WKR
I bet the outfitters won't be happy, they won't be able to get 2 hunts in each of the 2nd and 3rd combined seasons!

I bet the outfitters won't be happy, they won't be able to get 2 hunts in each of the 2nd and 3rd combined seasons!

I think a lot of Outfitters are actually happy with this scenario. Every outfitter I ever worked for only runs 1 hunt per season, unless they were on private land. This will help me out tremendously as I will actually have time to move camps between seasons if needed. Instead of having 6 camps set up and using 3 1st Rifle and 3 second rifle I can just move them during the break. Or if I want to use a camp both seasons least it’s getting a 6 day break

Elkhntr08

WKR
Doesn’t look like the end of the world and may eventually lead to better quality hunting.