Colorado - 2021 Big Game Tag Allocations

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Holy crap! A 96% increase in 55 & 551 rifle deer tags?? Did I see that right? Glad I put in for one of those units because they will be shot out for 2022😳

Holy crap! A 96% increase in 55 & 551 rifle deer tags?? Did I see that right? Glad I put in for one of those units because they will be shot out for 2022😳

That's for all rifle seasons including antlered and antlerless. The antlered increase isn't as drastic (35.9% or 160 total tags) while the antlerless increase is huge (541.6% or 325 total tags).

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
That's for all rifle seasons including antlered and antlerless. The antlered increase isn't as drastic (35.9% or 160 total tags) while the antlerless increase is huge (541.6% or 325 total tags).
That’s more tags than in 2016 when there was lots of deer - and big ones. Maybe they’ll come off the trophy rating in the big publications for 2022. Probably still be a great place to kill a solid forky though.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Do they publish the change in # of licenses for each rifle season before the draw results are out? It’s my first year apply in CO

Beendare

WKR
Do I read that right that the overall elk population is on the decline and well below target numbers? Glad we're reintroducing the wolf, that outta help.
Now you did it, all of the man bun environmentalist types are going to blather on and wring their hands with a tear in their eye, “We need Wolves” ....

Ugh no.... no we don’t. Humans can regulate ungulate populations just fine.

Carr5vols

WKR
The SW lost a lot of deer and elk tags. I hunt that area often, and it needed a reduction. It has went down hill pretty fast in the past 5 years.

Also it looks like for elk for everyone who didn't draw they still went and hunted OTC for past 2 years...instead of going to another state.

Where are the OTC deer units, east of I-25?

I heard of a "top quality" deer unit that when I look at the numbers it stayed the same. HOWEVER, a friend called the CPW about it and was told they increased 2nd season tags and decreased 3rd and 4th season buck tags. So kinda hard to fully understand numbers unless they post them for each season and unit which they should have. But, overall issuing more doe tags and less buck tags should (overall increase of 850 tags) will really help control the CWD I'm sure. Too bad a State know for quality deer hunting is now being horribly managed. Guess we should kill the goose that lays golden eggs!

First a call out of "Thanks!" to cnelk! You are constantly making a positive impact for us all on this site,

Archery elk Licenses doubled from 2019 to 2020! No wonder there were bow hunters behind every tree!

First a call out of "Thanks!" to cnelk! You are constantly making a positive impact for us all on this site,

Archery elk Licenses doubled from 2019 to 2020! No wonder there were bow hunters behind every tree!
I think the doubling you see is in the limited quota tags which is probably all the sw units that went from otc to limited but still were less than previous year otc numbers. Total tags only increased by 1,500 and otc tags went down

Do I read that right that the overall elk population is on the decline and well below target numbers? Glad we're reintroducing the wolf, that outta help.
Where do you see that? Elk population went up and is above target. The bull/cow ratio is certainly below target

I think the doubling you see is in the limited quota tags which is probably all the sw units that went from otc to limited but still were less than previous year otc numbers. Total tags only increased by 1,500 and otc tags went down
I see what you mean, those numbers increased because those SW OTC units all went Limited instead of OTC.