Colorado 2021 Options

Which Tag

• 2nd Season

• 3rd Season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wondering what tag you guys would rather have this year with the late season dates. A 2nd season in a "better" unit; or 3rd season in a "lesser" unit. Assuming both tags have taken the same amount of points to draw. It's going to be interesting to see how folks spend their points this year.

MRC

FNG
Wondering what tag you guys would rather have this year with the late season dates. A 2nd season in a "better" unit; or 3rd season in a "lesser" unit. Assuming both tags have taken the same amount of points to draw. It's going to be interesting to see how folks spend their points this year.
I’m in that boat. I’ve been going back and forth for two months. Have to make a decision. I don’t think anything will be the same amount of points.

If it was me, I’d pick the unit I knew better. If neither, I’d pick the unit with the later season if all other things were equal (access/pressure/movement with weather).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRC

FNG
I’m afraid 3rd. season hunts might really get point creep. The dates are as good as past fourth season hunts. Look at the points required for the fourth season hunts in the past and tell me what the points will be for the 3rd.season hunts with those same dates.

Don't be surprised if some or most 3rd and 4th season hunts jump two points or more this year. Lots of high point holders have been waiting for these dates

A "better" unit doesn't mean you are going to have a better hunt. There are no gimmes in hunting. You still have to hunt. There are big deer in every unit. You just have to find them. So I would take my chances in 3rd season because it is closer to the rut and the bigger bucks should be moving.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I don't think there's a right or wrong just depends on the unit. It's anyone's guess how the draws are going to shake out. I am tempted to look at some of the early muzzleloader hunts. I feel like there might be some easier to get tags in those hunts.

OP
Hatchet Jack
A "better" unit doesn't mean you are going to have a better hunt. There are no gimmes in hunting. You still have to hunt. There are big deer in every unit. You just have to find them. So I would take my chances in 3rd season because it is closer to the rut and the bigger bucks should be moving.
You mean I can’t just whip out my tag that says unit 44 on it and 200”ers will start jumping in the back of my truck? Damn. Guess I’ll just stick to watching YouTube

TygerJ

FNG

Weighing this exact dilemma myself. Tough decision to be made.

rolocasi

FNG
Good luck choosing> I am in the same boat. I have 14 CO deer points (Non resi) that I am debating burning on a 2nd season Gunnison unit (draw odds are going to be wrecked for sure). I want to go 3rd, but I am may not draw the unit I want if the point creep is bad (took 11-12 last year), but I want to hunt. I think 2nd season in a good unit is a gamble that can be awesome if the weather cooperates. I am torn too. I have a friend urging me to consider 21, 44, 66 2nd; but it seems crazy to me to burn all 14 points when all these took less than 8 last year. Tough decision for sure.

Good luck choosing> I am in the same boat. I have 14 CO deer points (Non resi) that I am debating burning on a 2nd season Gunnison unit (draw odds are going to be wrecked for sure). I want to go 3rd, but I am may not draw the unit I want if the point creep is bad (took 11-12 last year), but I want to hunt. I think 2nd season in a good unit is a gamble that can be awesome if the weather cooperates. I am torn too. I have a friend urging me to consider 21, 44, 66 2nd; but it seems crazy to me to burn all 14 points when all these took less than 8 last year. Tough decision for sure.
I sent you a PM.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Our group of NR hunters is going to try and burn our points on a good 2nd season unit. Not sure which one yet, but that probably what we'll end up doing. I think you could see a 2-3 point creep in this type of hunt, and other 3rd/4th season.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider

I like this way of thinking.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I think either one will be a good hunt. I have one 2nd and one 3rd season unit I’ve been going back and forth on. Going off the last few years of what it took to draw either, I have more than enough to draw with decent point creep. But one of those units has had a ton of chatter on multiple forums.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think either one will be a good hunt. I have one 2nd and one 3rd season unit I’ve been going back and forth on. Going off the last few years of what it took to draw either, I have more than enough to draw with decent point creep. But one of those units has had a ton of chatter on multiple forums.
I'm in the same boat. And I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same unit. Good luck!

OP
Hatchet Jack
i think you're going to see a lot of guys in the 10-14 point range dumping points on the "better" unit 2nd season hunts that usually take 6-8 points. I myself have 13 and was leaning that direction, but am also looking into some of the 3rd season units that traditionally take 6-8 points, as i won't have enough points this year for the next tier up.