Colorado 2021 Options

Which Tag

• 2nd Season

• 3rd Season

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thomas11

WKR
Our group of NR hunters is going to try and burn our points on a good 2nd season unit. Not sure which one yet, but that probably what we'll end up doing. I think you could see a 2-3 point creep in this type of hunt, and other 3rd/4th season.
If u don’t mind me asking, how many pts does your group have? I’m considering the same but I’m worried about too much point creep in the unit I’m looking at

Thomas11

WKR
But the thing that may save second season is tags are higher in most cases so it can absorb some extra higher pt apps vs third season

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at 3rd season hunts where the 4th usually takes what you have. So the guys above who have 13, find a 4th season that took that last year and go on it for 3rd. Even if that 3rd only took 8, 6 or even 0. You’re getting 4th season dates for the normal points a 4th have taken.

Good luck choosing> I am in the same boat. I have 14 CO deer points (Non resi) that I am debating burning on a 2nd season Gunnison unit (draw odds are going to be wrecked for sure). I want to go 3rd, but I am may not draw the unit I want if the point creep is bad (took 11-12 last year), but I want to hunt. I think 2nd season in a good unit is a gamble that can be awesome if the weather cooperates. I am torn too. I have a friend urging me to consider 21, 44, 66 2nd; but it seems crazy to me to burn all 14 points when all these took less than 8 last year. Tough decision for sure.
It's a 9 day season much later. You can't go wrong

DLOsoft

FNG
Anyone have suggestions for a 2nd season unit with 8 NR points. I have a couple in mind, but was wondering what others thought. Feel free to PM me. I was thinking that I probably need to go after a unit that took less than 6 last year to be safe.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have suggestions for a 2nd season unit with 8 NR points. I have a couple in mind, but was wondering what others thought. Feel free to PM me. I was thinking that I probably need to go after a unit that took less than 6 last year to be safe.
You might want to review the harvest statistics and drawing recap reports in the CO DOW website. There is a lot of info there for you to review.

Azone

WKR
Point creep will undoubtedly screw up a lot of people’s plans. With 5 points myself I’ve pretty much settled on a second season hunt that takes 2 to 3 points and am praying the point creep boogeyman doesn’t show up. Still kinda going back and forth on a tag for third season in a 1 point unit that I’ve been in before. I’m not too caught up on getting full 5 point value, this will be the year of inflation if that makes any sense.
If drawing a deer tag falls through this year I may just buy a otc elk tag and scout a unit for next year. Will have to wait and see what the crystal ball has in store for us.

Definitely a crap shoot! I could do archery, but they screwed that up with the later dates for that season. Wait until the deadline and roll the dice!

9 points, NR

Last edited:

MRC

FNG
How about this. Whatever season you choose it ends up being 65 degrees and sunny and the season you didn’t apply for gets good snow for a week. Is that possible!!!!!

tracker12

WKR
Well I have 20 NR points and not sure what to do. I thought I was a shoe in for 66 3rd last year and it didn't happen. Im tired of waiting and want to hunt this year.

I have 5. I’m considering a second season tag that took 3 last yr. but I’m scared it may jump
I would not burn 5 points on a 2nd season tag anywhere. I would use them in a muzzleloader or early rifle area though. Perhaps in 5 more years when your at 10 points there will be some really solid 3rd season tags available