Colorado 2022 OTC

Trying to start getting options laid out for myself and 1 maybe 2 guys to go archery season. Thinking second to 3rd week of September. I’ve been to WY once, the other 2 guys have never been. How long do people usually spend in one area before moving on? I know elk move a lot and that has me unsure how long to spend before moving to a backup area. We are planning on packing in a bit after getting there mid-day and setting a camp. Glass the evening and make a plan for next morning hunting from there. Not a “true backpack hunt”.

If elk are there or a lot of fresh sign I stay. I leave an area if I don’t find good amounts of sign within hours.

Michael k

FNG
Spend maybe 2 or 3 days in an area and if thers not really hot sign. Leave

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dsayer

FNG
Note that 3rd week of September will be during muzzleloader season in Colorado. You'll want to check on the tag allocation for your chosen unit as part of your planning to get an idea of the pressure from the orange army.

For your question, hunt/scout one day. Fresh sign or visual/auditory confirmation = stay. None of the above = moving on.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Please please consider this!!!!! The way things are going with otc type hunts and the crazy pressure that has been put on the resource the last few years- these hunts might be gone. I would be buying points in Wyoming and Montana this summer and setting yourself up for hunts in 2-4 years. Somthing is going to give in Colorado sooner than later. It’s just a zoo in too many units, and when they restrict access to certain units, the pressure will just move on. I wouldn’t hunt a unit with a fourteener in it, unless you like lots of company from non hunting users. Your plans are good. Being able to keep at the grind for an extended period will help your group a lot more than anything.

A hunt can change in a minute

OP
M
Please please consider this!!!!! The way things are going with otc type hunts and the crazy pressure that has been put on the resource the last few years- these hunts might be gone. I would be buying points in Wyoming and Montana this summer and setting yourself up for hunts in 2-4 years. Somthing is going to give in Colorado sooner than later. It’s just a zoo in too many units, and when they restrict access to certain units, the pressure will just move on. I wouldn’t hunt a unit with a fourteener in it, unless you like lots of company from non hunting users. Your plans are good. Being able to keep at the grind for an extended period will help your group a lot more than anything.

A hunt can change in a minute
For sure. We have 3 points each for WY. Have been putting thought into getting cow tags until we can draw a decent WY unit. Thanks for the replies everyone!