Colorado 2022

gknutson

FNG
So I'm looking into drawing a deer tag in 2022 and using my 11 points. I'm looking into 3rd or 4th season. Every unit I've looked into has mixed reviews (this doesn't bother me).

So here's my question. Without being overly familiar with any of the units would I be better to draw a 8-11 point unit for 3rd season or a 8-11 point unit for 4th season ?

I have hunted mule deer buy never in Nov. I'm like everyone else I'm looking for a chance at a mature deer.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
It's really hard to say and would depend on the unit. Some units will have 4th season landing at the way end of the rut and may make it harder to hunt. Other units will only get better later. Also if unit a unit has all private ground in the low country 4th season could put all the deer in an area you can't hunt. Just try and look at the units and winter ranges and see what looks better for each unit.

Jimss

WKR
Depends on the unit and weather. You might as well toss a coin in the air because each year is different. Dioni’s post is very true

OP
G

gknutson

FNG
Thanks for the input. I agree with the coin toss statement. It seems like weather is a big factor and that's such a wildcard.

The unit I have been zeroing in on for 3rd season is much better with snow since deer move in from the surrounding units.

Guess it's time flip a coin and get after it.

You have more days to hunt in third then fourth. Also a lot of units still have OTC elk hunters in third where a majority of units in fourth are also a draw for elk. This helps alleviate more people in the woods.

I’m certainly no expert, but if you’re considering 3rd season I wouldn’t overlook 2nd. Especially with dates the way they’ve got it set up now. Pressure is going to be on par with 3rd but you’re first up at the plate. You get the most days to hunt on 2nd and it’ll add more “better” units to the list of what you can draw. Just something to chew on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

WKR
Real talk here - after the slaughter this year by 4th in 2022 there just will not be many left unless these seasons change….

You can’t kill what does not exist… Or unless you are looking for a experience hunt ya might want build points and hope the 2030’s are better.

After what was killed this year your 11 points don’t matter throw a dart at the map or go visit where you like as again you can’t kill what does not exist…..

OP
G

gknutson

FNG
Real talk here - after the slaughter this year by 4th in 2022 there just will not be many left unless these seasons change….

You can’t kill what does not exist… Or unless you are looking for a experience hunt ya might want build points and hope the 2030’s are better.

After what was killed this year your 11 points don’t matter throw a dart at the map or go visit where you like as again you can’t kill what does not exist…..
I agree that the season dates had to lower the overall age class some. But the unit I've been looking at hardest has very few 4th season tags. Also it was very warm during the 3rd season hunt (when there were a lot of hunters).

I'm 40 now I don't want to wait till I'm in my 50s and hope it's better. I'm willing to take a chance burn my points then hunt 0-3 point hunts from here on out.

I do appreciate the input. I'm just playing devils advocate (or using wishful thinking.)

I had a 3rd season tag this year that I burned 12 points on. The rut was in full swing, I doubt that 4th season would have been more rutty. With the lack of snow this year I think the second season hunters did better than us. They got first pick of the deer and weather did not move in more deer. As mentioned the elk hunting pressure is real. I never saw a elk hunter out of his truck but man was there a lot of traffic out and about. I looked over a lot of deer and killed a 160ish deer on my fifth day

OP
G

gknutson

FNG
I had a 3rd season tag this year that I burned 12 points on. The rut was in full swing, I doubt that 4th season would have been more rutty. With the lack of snow this year I think the second season hunters did better than us. They got first pick of the deer and weather did not move in more deer. As mentioned the elk hunting pressure is real. I never saw a elk hunter out of his truck but man was there a lot of traffic out and about. I looked over a lot of deer and killed a 160ish deer on my fifth day

Thanks for the reply. I was in Northern New mexico during that time and it was tee shirt weather every day.

This is true, I spend my days on the winter range in northwest Colorado. The deer are gone. Colorado is in bad shape.

wweaver

FNG
Iam in the same boat. The late season weather did not turn up this year. Should still be good bucks this year. I have 11 pts also got pointed out last year. Trying to weigh “better” 2nd season unit w no otc elk traffic and pray for weather or 3rd season w otc elk.