Colorado 25 Preference Points

My dad has 25 resident preference points for deer in CO. At this point I realize he can go just about anywhere in the state, which is a bit daunting. I'm seeking more expert advice on what you guys would do with 25 PP. He is in ok physical condition. Would you guys look at ranching for wildlife ranches? Maybe three forks or white river ranch? Or would you recommend a DIY trip to the northwest part of the state? I know that he would be very pleased with a 180+ buck. Any insights would be much appreciated.

ColoradoV

WKR
If you can draw it 💯 Hill ranch RFW….

My 77 yr father was in the same boat in 2019. We did Eagle county over Gunny as IMO it is a superior area when you take into account the record winters and huge tag increases in Gunny. We were looking for 200” or bust found 220+ inches but a hard cap of 350 yards w my fathers pre 64 Winchester did us in as we could only get to 430 and ate the tag.

Neither is easy and unless you are real comfortable w tag soup I would not pass up 165+ in either Gunny or Eagle these days. A true 180” buck is a tall order on public after these late dates…. Amazing or sad how much has changed in 3 years.

Or if you can draw the Hill rfw tag your chances will be almost a slam dunk for a big buck.

sndmn11

WKR
I wouldn't spend that many points with Dad on a public access hunt just for the fact that you have a near zero chance of somebody else messing with your plan or being an annoyance. Time well remembered with Dad and the chance to be patient with the hunt.

This is just me, but if I had 25 points, I would hire a really good guide. I would hate to burn that many points and have nothing to show for it since it seems you're not at all familiar with the units.

This is just me, but if I had 25 points, I would hire a really good guide. I would hate to burn that many points and have nothing to show for it since it seems you're not at all familiar with the units.
On the flip side you wait 25 yrs to hunt your home state- a renowned mule deer factory- and you gotta pay another man to find a 180” deer for you? F that.

On the flip side you wait 25 yrs to hunt your home state- a renowned mule deer factory- and you gotta pay another man to find a 180” deer for you? F that.
Home state or not, the OP's dad has had 25 years to pinpoint a place to hunt and doesn't even have a region of the state narrowed down yet. I agree with your sentiment if you were fully prepared to hunt this fall. And at this point, no good guides would even be available anyway.

OP
COHunter33
Ya he was never an avid mule deer guy and hunted second choice tags all these years. I don’t think he will draw but we ended up putting in for the Hill ranch rfw hunt. He’s will to wait as long as it takes. It’s about the experience at this point and seeing a lot of deer so I think we will wait for a top tier RFW tag.

Jimss

WKR
One positive thing about private land is the landowner rather than cpw often manage buck quality. Some units obviously have more private land where bucks can potentially age compared to public land. Obviously units that are highly migratory the bucks may not show up on private until later so may be shot on public land before they arrive. What also often happens is mature bucks head to private before hunting season even opens. Mature bucks know what’s going on! Large eastern plains ranches likely have bucks that are born and die on the same properties snd they can manage bucks pretty much as they want.

Unfortunately the best outfitters on the eastern plains have a long list of clients waiting in line. There is often a lot better chance to harvest bucks on lightly hunted private land that may take a lot fewer pts than public land units that every tag holder is vying for the same 180+ bucks. Every year high demand units have late rifle rut hunts the fewer and fewer 180 bucks will be available even in the top tier units that take a pile of pts to draw.

Believe me, the more years Colo rifle rut seasons are open in public land units the better and better Eastern plains and units with mostly private land will shine.