Colorado 2nd Draw - Archery

jkilburg

FNG
My group had put in for Montana this year with one preference point, but due to the changes of Montana’s draw process for General Tags, we missed out. We’re still planning on elk hunting, and given that other states had less flexibility with leftover tags we had chosen CO (either OTC or 2nd Draw). I was wondering if anyone realistically knew whether 2nd Draw Archery is “almost” guaranteed? We had highlighted some areas in SW CO which transitioned you draw for archery tags 3 seasons ago.

Ultimately, I don’t want to leave anyone in our group out, so if there’s concern of someone not drawing, we’ll likely end up OTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Doubt its much of a sure thing, unless the unit sucks to begin with.

Thomas11

WKR
It depends on the tag honestly. They will have returned tags on the list. Prolly some really good tags. The issue getting the coveted ones is CO gives the Youth preference in second draw so realistically u can’t draw one of the better tags. Still some 0-1 pt tags u may can get

cnelk

WKR
Any tag that takes 5 or more PPs goes to the next person(s) in line.
If the tag is declined by a certain amount of people, it will hit the Leftover List.

There can be some decent tags [1-3 PP] on the list, and of course there will be plenty of 0 PP on there too.

There shouldnt be a problem for you to get a leftover - somewhere

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely a 0-1pt GMU, not a coveted area. Probably the only guarantee is OTC when it comes to ensuring all of our group can get a tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
You will get a pretty good idea of your chances in the 2nd draw just off tag numbers. If there are 200 tags available then all of your are probably going to easily get one. If there are a handful then you can pretty much assume that youth will wipe them out before any adults would even have a chance.

IMO Colorado should probably just make the 2nd draw youth only, there are thousands of people that apply and throw app fees at tags that they have a 0% chance at. Then whatever is left makes it to the leftover list.

Been there done that with my out of state hunting buddies. If you want to guarantee a CO archery elk tag for your entire group, I would go OTC. Alot of the decent Secondary Draw tags are issued to youths who are given preference. Also, there will likely not be enough tags available to accommodate your entire group or those tags may be for some crappy low density elk units. My 2 cents.