Colorado 2nd Rifle Cow Tag unit 371

Big Rock

FNG
Hey all and thanks for the add! I know these are probably getting old but I figured it was worth a shot. I just moved from Florida to Colorado and got a left over 2nd Rifle Cow tag for unit 371.

I plan to mainly do OTC Archery in the Sangre De Cristo mountain area all September then put boots on the ground after in 371 to scout after that.

I have done a lot of research on OnX and just looking for a little direction for parking spots and roughly narrow down where to look when the time comes. I just want to fill the freezer at that point and wouldn't mind a hunting buddy if someone else has that tag also! I would feel more comfortable with another person.

I have been eyeing the middle-northern 1/3 of the unit near North Rock Creek, Boulder Lake and Slate Lakes.

Obviously not looking for honey holes or secret spots but any help for a newbie is appreciated!

Pics of elk from that unit would be great motivation also!

Happy hunting!

That area gets hammered by backpacker and hunters alike, and there are a couple of outfitters in there as well. There is limited access to parking as rock creek is one of the only few spots to park. You’ll have to hunt the pressure, just like all of the other otc rifle elk areas.

OP
B

Big Rock

FNG
That area gets hammered by backpacker and hunters alike, and there are a couple of outfitters in there as well. There is limited access to parking as rock creek is one of the only few spots to park. You’ll have to hunt the pressure, just like all of the other otc rifle elk areas.

Thanks for the reply buddy. I will look into that and kind of figured it would be that way, I plan to get back as far as reasonable during that time frame.

I just got back from a backpacking trip to slate creek. Fishing was excellent in the creek. I had it at a little over 6 miles just to slate creek. I personally wouldn’t want to get anything down too far off the trail. The beetle kill and blowdown is terrible. I didn’t venture up Boulder but have been up slate a few times and it’s a beautiful drainage but not too sure many elk would be there with all the hikers. There could be worse areas to spend a few days hiking around though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk