Colorado 2nd Rifle Unit 25

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, new to the forum, but have been reading on it awhile now.

I’m planning a 2nd rifle elk hunt in Colorado unit 25, flat tops next year, and as it will be my first elk hunt, I’m trying to get an early start on planning. I will be going with 2 others and setting up a wall tent at the truck. Then heading up the valley, and setting up a spike camp, staying 2-3 days at a time, back down to base camp for supplies, rest, etc.

We plan on getting there a few days early, setting up camp, and scouting a day or two before season.
I would appreciate any advice, as this is my first time going, don’t hold back on criticism. I will be doing several hiking/camping trips in the next 15 months, trying out/ weeding out gear.

Where can you order Topo maps(paper maps, not gps)?

Anyone have any experience in the area?

Looks like season will be October 21st-27th, if I’m not mistaken, what can the weather be like this time of year, at around 10,000-11,000 ft?

Will be taking a pack frame, but still curious if there are anyone in the area that packs out elk for a fee?
Sorry if I am hitting all over the place, any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at the area on HuntStand, I am thinking about a spot around 7.5 miles from the road, to set up the spike camp, is this a reasonable distance to get away from other hunters? Or too far from the truck? It looks like it would be all downhill hauling out meat. And it on top of the flat tops.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Hope you’re in shape! A 7.5 mile hump is a long haul.
I’m doing the base camp/spike camp this year. I have all season to pull it off.
Weather can change in 10 minutes. Be prepared.
Great boots and a good pack will be your best investment.

njdoxie

WKR
Or too far from the truck?

That’s totally dependent on you, there’s no one right answer. What kind of shape are you in?
I would say that’s too far for most folks to pack one out, but maybe you’re uber fit and have packed heavy loads before. But if you ask the question then it’s probably too far.

Last edited:
OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m used to packing deer out from under the cliffs here in Kentucky, but that’s like 2-3 miles. Plus I’m never been in higher elevation, and I’m not in excellent shape. But I am willing do what it takes, to get where the elk are.

Jaspe

FNG
Planning to be there for 3rd rifle this year. Weather can change quickly. The amount of snow will most likely impact altitude you hunt.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Planning to be there for 3rd rifle this year. Weather can change quickly. The amount of snow will most likely impact altitude you hunt.
Do you know if there is anyone in that area that will come pack out meat? I tried getting ahold of Local outfitters, they haven’t replied to me yet, so I’m doubtful they do that.

Last edited:

Elkhntr08

WKR
After rereading your first post, I want to interject one more thing. You have 7 days to find and harvest an elk in country you’ve never set foot in. Do your GE scouting and topo maps. Get a solid plan A, B and C. Hopefully you can camp close to all 3. Glass, glass and glass, find the elk and go get him. Try not to burn time moving camp.
There’s a lot of great resources out there, University of Elk Hunting, Randy Newberg’s OnX scouting on YouTube.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been watching Randy Newberg’s videos on YouTube, and then rewatching them, making sure I don’t miss anything. I will be getting there a few days early to scout, but that’s what I’m trying to do, marking backup spots close by, finding points on a Topo map where I could glass and cover a large area, etc.
Both of the guys I’m going with have been there before, but it’s been several years, and I don’t want to only rely on them. Thanks for the help, I’m going to check out University of Elk Hunting.

Jaspe

FNG
Do you know if there is anyone in that area that will come pack out meat? I tried getting ahold of Budges, they haven’t replied to me yet, so I’m doubtful they do that.
Try Cliff Gray: Flat Top Wilderness guides - I am not sure if he provides that service - but he should know who does. I know he runs about fifty pack animals for his guided trips in that unit.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Try Cliff Gray: Flat Top Wilderness guides - I am not sure if he provides that service - but he should know who does. I know he runs about fifty pack animals for his guided trips in that unit.
Ok, thanks.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
7 miles is a long way to pack out. Being in shape and mountain shape are two different things in my opinion.

I would say I’m in great shape but elevation kills me.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
7 miles is a long way to pack out. Being in shape and mountain shape are two different things in my opinion.

I would say I’m in great shape but elevation kills me.
Thanks, I’m beginning to think I should look for sites a little closer to the truck!

Nuke Man

WKR
Archery hunted that exact spot a couple years ago. Outfitter camp right at the trail head and back in by Shepherd Lake. We set up a spike camp at Indian Lake. Coffee Pot rd is really rough back in there closer to Budges. It's about a 3 hr drive from the interstate to the trail head near Budges.

Nuke Man

WKR
Nope, saw 2 cows on the way in is all. But we got run out of the unit 3 days in due to a forest fire. So maybe the reason we didn't see anything, not even mule deer. Lots of people, hiking around. Even way off trail.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, saw 2 cows on the way in is all. But we got run out of the unit 3 days in due to a forest fire. So maybe the reason we didn't see anything, not even mule deer. Lots of people, hiking around. Even way off trail.
That would suck! I heard that there was a lot of people around that area.

Last edited:

md126

WKR
7 miles is a long way but if there are 3 of you and you can do it in one trip it could work, especially mostly downhill.

I’ve been there a few times. If you’re looking for a solitary experience the Flat Tops isn’t it...

md126

WKR
I also had a packer lined up but a reliable packer is a logistical problem at best. It might work but I sure wouldn’t depend on it.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I also had a packer lined up but a reliable packer is a logistical problem at best. It might work but I sure wouldn’t depend on it.
Who was you going to have to pack out?

I’m used to packing deer out from under the cliffs here in Kentucky, but that’s like 2-3 miles. Plus I’m never been in higher elevation, and I’m not in excellent shape. But I am willing do what it takes, to get where the elk are.
Willing and able are two distinctly different things. All of us are willing. Some of us are able.

10-11K in mid-late October in that area can mean a lot of snow.

IMO 5-7 miles is the perfect outfitter camp zone. So don't be surprised if you get in that far and run straight into hunters and wall tents. Your approach is sound - it's what I've been doing the past several years... base camp and the ability to spike camp a few miles in if the situation called for it.

It will all depend on how dry things are, how much snow, etc. as to where you hunt. There are a lot of elk in that area, and I've seen small herds passing between RV's in the middle of the day on main roads before. They are where you find them. Don't be too good to hunt within a mile of a road if that's where the elk are.

If you're aren't doing bleachers with a weighted pack, make plans to start soon.

Good luck.