Colorado 2nd season tactics

mcseal2

WKR
I drew a 2nd season muley tag for Colorado this year in the northwestern part of the state. I have hunted muleys in Wyoming in early October with some success but this is my first muley focused Colorado hunt. What tactics and elevations would you recommend starting with this time of year? We are going to make a scouting trip next month to learn some of the country and I would like some input on where to start. I’ve read Robby’s book and about every other one I could find over the last several years but I’m always looking to learn more. Thanks for your help.

lif

WKR
I’ve had decent success on 2nd season on easy to draw units. My strategy is to start looking at around 7-8000’ in the oak brush and aspens. Find water. See what is coming to and from water at first and last light. If you dont see the numbers you like keep moving up in elevation until you do. If you are in a heavily roaded area use maps to find spots that can’t be seen from the roads. That’s a general outlook for that season on the western side of the state, but it seemed to help myself and my hunting parties do pretty well. Good luck.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Water and food. I have a 2nd Rifle Tag in central Colorado this year too. Here are a few really basic articles. One of the things I found interesting was that they will have a slightly larger home-range in the middle of the summer when food (especially) and water is more accessible, and then as the fall gets closer there should be a little more concentration of the animals as food sources are less readily available.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks very much guys, I'll check the articles out and keep those strategies in mind.

Marble

WKR
I hunt 2nd season, and drew a tag this year. I prefer to kill my buck first and then go after elk.

I really like hunting the really high areas, above tree line around the 11,500' elevation. They are much easier to locate and watch bed. Then I go get within shooting distance and wait.

The crappy thing about 2nd season and the area I hunt is if a significant storm comes in and drops some snow, nearly all the deer take off for the lower altitude. This means they are more in timber, brush, aspens etc.. It makes it much more difficult.

Takem

WKR
We hunt 2nd season every couple of years in Colorado this year being one of them. Similar to what Lif said we focus on oak brush from 7,000 to 8,600 feet in our area. We have a couple of reliable pockets that get little to no pressure and the deer numbers will increase as the weak goes on. If the snow hits or it's a bad acorn year the deer can move through that elevation pretty quickly in our experience. We've taken some good bucks down low in those type of years.

We've had a lot more success since we started sitting and glassing more and moving around less. In our area the bigger deer do not stand still that time of year and we don't have a lot of topography to use to get close. We're not spot and stalking as much as finding where they are and setting up in a spot that may offer a shot while glassing.

Good luck on your hunt.

Dcrafton

WKR
I drew a 2nd season muley tag for Colorado this year in the northwestern part of the state. I have hunted muleys in Wyoming in early October with some success but this is my first muley focused Colorado hunt. What tactics and elevations would you recommend starting with this time of year? We are going to make a scouting trip next month to learn some of the country and I would like some input on where to start. I’ve read Robby’s book and about every other one I could find over the last several years but I’m always looking to learn more. Thanks for your help.

I’ve been hunting the northwest part of Colorado 2nd season for 18 years now, never tasted tag stew.
Pm me if you want more details.
ef6ebffad75b207e7d368005527d3dcb.jpg
29c2dd3443b10549c3b1ac4ef4fc4f54.jpg

Just a couple from the areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
I hunt 2nd season, and drew a tag this year. I prefer to kill my buck first and then go after elk.

I really like hunting the really high areas, above tree line around the 11,500' elevation. They are much easier to locate and watch bed. Then I go get within shooting distance and wait.

The crappy thing about 2nd season and the area I hunt is if a significant storm comes in and drops some snow, nearly all the deer take off for the lower altitude. This means they are more in timber, brush, aspens etc.. It makes it much more difficult.
My first time in Colorado. I have a second season tag in Gunny Basin. I was hoping they would still be at or above treeline for the hunt. Seems like there is a bunch of tough hunting between the treeline at 11500' and the sage country. Thick conifers and aspens.

The hunt planner person said to hunt the sage. I have not talked to the bio yet.

Do the bucks drop below treeline omce the willows loose their leaves? Do the deer hold up in the conifers and aspens or head straight to the sage?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone, I'll send the PM. Great looking bucks.

Foldem

WKR
My first time in Colorado. I have a second season tag in Gunny Basin. I was hoping they would still be at or above treeline for the hunt. Seems like there is a bunch of tough hunting between the treeline at 11500' and the sage country. Thick conifers and aspens.

The hunt planner person said to hunt the sage. I have not talked to the bio yet.

Do the bucks drop below treeline omce the willows loose their leaves? Do the deer hold up in the conifers and aspens or head straight to the sage?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I haven't hunted the Gunnison basin after archery season but in my experience in Central Colorado the bucks start moving down in mid/late September as the feed burns off/browns up. Not to say one here or there don't stay high or that they move a long way. 2 years ago I saw 3 does at 11k in 3rd season. I just wouldn't expect the deer to be up feeding at 12,000' in 2nd season, but you never know.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I’d start high and work lower until finding where the deer are concentrating. If the weather stays warm, they could be high As long as there is feed. The weather and type of terrain will play and big factor on where the deer are hanging. Stay mobile and move around until you find them. Then figure out if they are migrating though or staying in that particular area.

The 3 units I’ve hunted during 2nd season have all been different. One unit the deer seemed to be staying around 11-11500k elevation and I’d see the same deer while scouting and during the hunt. The 2nd unit they were down lower in the sage and aspens, but still using the area and not moving out. The 3rd unit the deer were on the move and I was having to concentrate below 8k elevation and didn’t see any of the same bucks during the hunt. I actually sat on migration trails during that hunt, but we had quite a bit of snow also.

Good luck on your hunt

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. Lots to think about while baling hay this summer and thinking of fall.