Colorado 3rd Rifle Feedback on Clothing Kit Requested

Jaspe

FNG
I am planning my first elk hunt for November of 2019. It will be in the Flat Tops Wilderness . It is being set up as a day hunt, using horses, and returning to base camp each evening, Elevation to hunt is expected to be around 9,000 feet but weather could change that plan. Being from the southeast and having no experience in this type of environment - concerned about staying warm. I would appreciate feedback on clothing and other recommendations you guys would make.

Planning to use :
Base Layer Cabela's E.C.W.C.S light and medium weight, top and bottom - also have heavy weight top
Mid Layer Ultra Merion 210 , Patagonia Fleece (CONSIDERING ADDING PELOTON 200?)
Insulation CONSIDERING ADDING Kenai Ultra Hooded for active, Using Cabela Wooltimate Jacket for Glassing , Pnuma Insulated Pants
Outer Top (weather dependent ) Bottom - Kuiu Guide Pants, Also have Light weight Cabela Performance Pants
Rain Kuiu Yukon top - Kuiu light weight bottom
Feet Meindel uninsulated boots, Muck Boots, Kuiu Yukon Gaiters, Mid weight socks , (Heavy wool with Muck Boots)
Head Stormy Kromer Cap, Beanie, Merio 145 neck gaiter
Gloves Ulta Merino 210 glove, Yukon glove, (CONSIDERING ADDING Glassing Glomitt)
Vest Orange Safety vest - caps and Beanie also in blaze orange

Do I have enough to be warm, any thoughts on the Kenai Ultra or Peleton - other thoughts ?
Any feedback is sincerely appreciated.

Clarence

WKR
For that time of year, If you are doing any amount of glassing you will probably want a glomit of some type. I don't know that area at all, but I wear muck boots every day at work, hunt whitetail in rubber boots. I would not want them in Co. Not sure how much time you guys will be spending on horses, but I would want a much more supportive boot for trekking around those mountains. If you're day hunting and have the space, take it along within reason, and dial your system through out the week. You have some solid gear to work with. Consider this a awesome learning experience and enjoy the country. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
It looks good. I’d have an extra insulating jacket for when you’re riding in on the horses. If There’s any weather in Oct. you’ll have a tough time hiking around at 9,000 ft. We had a couple nights at 2 degrees and days in the low 40s during first season this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
I did a guided 4th season hunt in the same area in 2017, and the number one thing I'd say is don't spend extra on ultralight because you probably won't be hiking that far from camp and the horses bring everything up the mountain for you. Bring enough layers to stay warm while sitting/glassing and I'd also highly recommend a foam pad to sit on.

OP
J

Jaspe

FNG
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I was considering glassing Glomitts - thanks for confirmation on this . The muck boots not for hiking - planning to use Mendel uninsulated boot as primary boot. Thanks for the reminder on a sitting pad .

OP
J

Jaspe

FNG
I did a guided 4th season hunt in the same area in 2017, and the number one thing I'd say is don't spend extra on ultralight because you probably won't be hiking that far from camp and the horses bring everything up the mountain for you. Bring enough layers to stay warm while sitting/glassing and I'd also highly recommend a foam pad to sit on.
[/
Do you mind my asking who you went with? Any suggestions on working with the guide?

OP
J

Jaspe

FNG
It looks good. I’d have an extra insulating jacket for when you’re riding in on the horses. If There’s any weather in Oct. you’ll have a tough time hiking around at 9,000 ft. We had a couple nights at 2 degrees and days in the low 40s during first season this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What insulating jackets do you recommend?

Gorp2007

WKR

I went with Rivers Bend Outfitters. I went with zero elk hunting experience, but my biggest advice would be to trust the guides even if their advice isn't sexy or exciting. We went out with 7 hunters in camp and brought back 6 elk. That's not typical, but we probably would have come back with zero without the guides.

success

WKR
Leave the muck boots at home. A friend wore them to Montana one year. Completely regretted it. Theyre loud, uncomfortable to hike in, and tore his feet and heels up. Wooltimate is very heavy too. I wouldn't pack it in personally.

I'll be there the same time this year. Last season I hunted Montana in -2° weather one day. This is what I suggest:
Cabelas ecwcs heavyweight upper and lower
Some type of hiking pants over the lower layer
Peloton 240
Peloton 240 vest
Kuiu guide jacket
Orange Beanie

+/- options
Hooded Kenai ultra
Costco puffy

Rain gear is kuiu chugach set.

For me this was more than enough in Montana.

OP
J

Jaspe

FNG
Leave the muck boots at home. A friend wore them to Montana one year. Completely regretted it. Theyre loud, uncomfortable to hike in, and tore his feet and heels up. Wooltimate is very heavy too. I wouldn't pack it in personally.

I'll be there the same time this year. Last season I hunted Montana in -2° weather one day. This is what I suggest:
Cabelas ecwcs heavyweight upper and lower
Some type of hiking pants over the lower layer
Peloton 240
Peloton 240 vest
Kuiu guide jacket
Orange Beanie

+/- options
Hooded Kenai ultra
Costco puffy

Rain gear is kuiu chugach set.

For me this was more than enough in Montana

I appreciate the feedback. My Primary boot is a Mendel uninsulated model. Guide suggested the Muck Boot as a back up if snow forced us lower and stationary for longer periods of time. Have you used the Kenai Ultra? Feedback seems mixed on the newer version. Again, thanks for the feedback!

LaHunter

WKR
I didn't see a down garment included. I would leave the heavy wool outer coat and replace with a quality down jacket for insulation. Old school wool pretty heavy and cumbersome vs a down coat.
Also, when would you plan on wearing the Muck boots? I can't think of a use where the Muck boots would be the 'boot of choice' in the mountains if any hiking will be involved.

Gorp2007

WKR
If he's only hiking 1/4 to 1/2 mile from camp, the muck boots will be pretty nice with a few toe warmers and thick socks. If he's got other winter boots, though, I'd recommend them instead.