Colorado 3rd Season...big buck or bust!

VANDAL

WKR
Ok well I might be a little premature in setting this live hunt up but I'm chomping at the bit. Over the next few days I'll update on preparation for the hunt/gear and once the hunt begins I'll be able to send real-time updates as cell service is decent.

On Friday I'll be leaving Idaho for Colorado for a 9 day solo hunt, if needed. This is not one of those highly coveted tags but I believe it has good potential for a smoker if you put in the time, glass and hunt hard. The challenge is there are quite a few 3rd season deer tags available and heavy pressure from OTC elk tags...and of course private land.

Here is the buck I shot last year on day 9 (7th day of the season). My goal is to top this buck although that's going to be a tall order.
DSCN0642.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
The weather outlook keeps getting worse for 3rd season...warmer weather with less chance for snow. Last year a mid-week snow storm rolled in that really changed the dynamics of the hunt. It doesn't look like I'll get that this year, and if I do it will be the last weekend.

As a result I'll be bringing my overnight backpacking gear just in case I need to spend a couple nights in a ways.
weather.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rain, snow, or shine, the deer will still be in the rut, so you've got that going for you.

One advantage of nice weather is glassing conditions are good. I love the snow, but you lose some days to fog and bad visibility.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All this deer hunting in later seasons has me convinced I need to be applying more out of state for deer!

a3dhunter

WKR
The weather outlook keeps getting worse for 3rd season...warmer weather with less chance for snow. Last year a mid-week snow storm rolled in that really changed the dynamics of the hunt. It doesn't look like I'll get that this year, and if I do it will be the last weekend.

As a result I'll be bringing my overnight backpacking gear just in case I need to spend a couple nights in a ways.

good choice, best to be prepared for anything.
I thought we were going to have decent weather 1st season and once packed in had a nice snow storm and colder temps for opening day. I had left some of my heavier clothing at home. Sure was glad the weather got better after the first day. I will be packing differently next time.

Rain, snow, or shine, the deer will still be in the rut, so you've got that going for you.

One advantage of nice weather is glassing conditions are good. I love the snow, but you lose some days to fog and bad visibility.

The mule deer in colorado don't typically rut till the end of November early December. 3rd season the big bucks will typically be off hiding away from does.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback! It will be interesting to see how this hunt unfolds.

Maybe a lot of the big bucks that head toward private early won't be there and caught in transition. Or maybe they will turn into logs and their movement will be very limited.

Last year I didn't see a lot of rutting activity but the bucks were in the vicinity. I believe this time of year the big bucks are close...maybe sniffing some does at night and then isolating themselves as the sun rises.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, I disagree having hunted about 7 third seasons in Colorado. I've always found the bucks near the does and with cold weather, right in them. I agree the peak of the rut is later, but they are breeding does by Nov 1. Same here in Idaho.

Vandal, if I remember your story correctly, you shot your buck last year as he trailed a doe through the oakbrush? Same buck?

Last edited:
I base my observations on living in central Colorado mountains my whole life and observing animals practically out my front door. Big bucks may be close to does at this time but I wouldn't nessesarly call it "in rut." They might venture in with the does but are typically hidden. I've been watching deer Dailey the past few days and I'm seeing does and small bucks. Dont get me wrong a big buck could be in with does in the beginning of october or any day right now.
From about November 20th and on the rut it usually going. Its amazing to me how some big ole bucks that you never ever know exist, will show up out of nowhere when the rut kicks in. Just my observations.

Good luck man!!

Last edited:
OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Yes Robby, the buck I shot last year was with 3 other does and he was particularly interested in one. He had me pegged at ~150 yrds in heavy oakbrush so I had no shot. Two of the does walked off and he didn't care- he kept starring me down. Once the other doe crossed in front of him I remember he looked away, sniffed her, and took one step forward to follow. Then I shot.

He was an old buck (7 yrs). Without that doe making him loose focus I might not have had a shot.