Colorado 3rd season, expectations?

BigHink66

FNG
So, I think I have enough points to draw a third season tag for Moffat county in 2021. Trying to get an idea of wht reasonable expectations are? Is it feasible to get away from the roads and have a chance at a 170" inch buck. The unit I am thinking about has lots of public, and a fair amount of roads. Or am I going to be great ful to find 140" deer. Planning to stay in a hotel somewhere and day hunt.

One other thing....

Would snow shoes be a wise purchase? I would like to set up back in as far as I can, never had snow shoes, bot thought they may be useful. Elevation is lower and not sure how much snow to expect. Was in the flat tops a few years ago first season and the snow really impacted the hunt.

Snow shoes will prob not helpful, regardless of snow amount. They are clunky and more likely to get caught on brush or sage and twist your knee up than allow you to go over snow. Very slow also.

This is from my post in the clothes section.
Hunted 3rd season, NW CO between Craig and Meeker. Had a new set of clothes this year. Kryptek Altitude Bora outer, Ghar puffy, Arma hoody, Midway lightweight merino long sleeve, Midway shortsleeve synthetic, Kennetrac over the calf midweight wool socks, Irish Setter elk hunter boots and Kennetrac gaiters, Kryptek gloves. Pants were an older set of Bass Pro, Krypto, not made any more. Wish they were they are awesome!!!!!

Weather was 15 to 25 F, 18" snow and very windy. This setup was awesome, when climbing I took off the Ghar and put it back on when glassing and sitting. The Bora stopped the wind!!! At times it almost blew me over, I'm 280 lbs. It held up with no issues pushing thru the oak brush or with the snow. Never cold. Boots and socks stayed dry, gaiters worked perfectly.

Don't remember model of the Kryptek gloves, worked okay but snow stuck to them like velcro. When it did fingers got cold, needed hand warmers. Should have had some glove liners. I'm going to look for a different set of gloves.

Very impressed with the Kryptek Altitude.

I saw hundreds of does and over 30 shooter bucks. The rut was getting hotter by the day. Shot my first muley with his nose in a does butt! Going again this year!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 52