Colorado 3rd verse 4th season choice

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I dont see them reducing tag numbers, unless there is a bad winter in a certain area
I agree with this. The third could be awesome in 2021 and 2022 if the weather cooperates. Wouldn't be surprised if the top end quality takes a hit in a bunch of units after that due the great dates and what I am assuming to be similar tag quotas to what are currently in place. Success rates should go up due to the rut and even the midday marauders being able to find little bucks out and about.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I forgot about CWD control. Kill the bucks seems to be the new standard control measure. Yes, if tag allocations remain high in 3rd, the quality will drop. Being from Montana, I can speculate what that will look like. Still some good ones in MT, but not like there could be.

I've pretty much solidified that this will be a 3rd season hunt. Now to see if I can actually draw a tag.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Jeremy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't put an OTC elk tag in my pocket if I was burning a significant number of points to hunt Muledeer. Putting and elk down is a great way to eat up a day, or 2, or 3 of a hunt and in most instances i would rather focus my efforts if burning a fair number of points.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My son had a career ending football injury this season so 2020 could be my year to use up those 14 points. I’m really in no mans land when I run they all the “calculators” and they spit out units I could draw. And good gravy “could” is an accurate word; who knows what guys will apply for with the new season dates. Hate losing 2 days off the 3rd season.

CiK01

WKR
I need to up my research game. 4 Colorado mule deer points going into 2020 and I am learning through this post that the Colorado seasons are changing next year. Back to the drawing board. :ROFLMAO:

I would be cautious about the strategy of finding a buck in November and being able to camp on him for a few days. My experience of hunting Colorado in November (one third season, one fourth) is that you'll want to go ahead and kill that big buck as soon as you find him. Give him a couple days and he could be miles away. Particularly if you are hunting a migration route.