Colorado 421

Heading to 421 in October. Any info as far as camping is concerned would be appreciated. We are looking on the eastern side. Going to take a camper for base camp. We will then be dropped off to take our packs in to spike camp. Looking for suggestions on places for the camper, campground or otherwise. Not looking for hunting spots. Thanks

Last edited:
Good luck, hunted 2nd season there a couple years back. Can't shed any light on camping spots as we hunted private but there's animals for sure. Saw the biggest Mulie I had ever seen over there.

I believe you can park an RV in or near Colbran with full hookups. There's also a lake further east of there but the name escapes me. If I could choose anywhere in CO to live, it would be somewhere in that valley. Stunning country!

OP
Campcreek12
I called vega state park and they said it was first come first serve that time of year. She couldn't tell me if they normally filled up. Also saw a buzzard campground but there is very little info on it.

They fill up. Also, your backpacking idea seems good, but not sure how much that will benefit you. There are ATV trails all over that unit and most of the trails are a couple miles apart. Easy for people to get in from each side. Never been there during rifle season, but every other time it is packed with hunters and off road atv riders. Vega Lake will be full of ATVs going up the mountain.

OP
Campcreek12
Thanks. We're not planning on hunting near the state park. Looking more toward buzzard creek/ruth mtn area but there does seem to be very few areas with a ton of land between trails.

Yeah just wanted you to know what to expect, if you have never been there before. There are ATVs everywhere. I can only assume it is the same way during rifle, but could be completely wrong.

OP
Campcreek12
Thanks. I'm sure its probably busier during rifle if what I've been reading is true. It seems its busy everywhere during 2nd rifle otc. I'd prefer to get to sleep not right next to someone. Thought away from the park might be a little less populated.

To answer your original question, if you drive up into the Mountain on the road coming out of Vega Lake, there are all kinds of camping spots. I have seen 5th Wheel campers way back in there. The road is big enough, but man it is rough. Just tons of rocks. You can look on Google earch and see a bunch of the camp sites up that road. Lots of them are large areas and will have several campers/wall tents in them.

OP
Campcreek12
Thank you so much for the info. Do you know anything about the buzzard campground out near the divide near the east side?