Colorado 43

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a muzzy bear tag for 43 in CO. Currently thinking that Coal Basin (east of Huntsman’s Ridge) would be a good start. Any idea what elevation they will be at around that time? I was thinking around 8k, focus on riparian (Coal Creek) areas and berries. Any insight would be a big help. I’ll head out to scout a couple of times between now and then.

Darin

FNG
I’ve seen bears from the trailheads at 9000ft and above tree line at 12000 ft in September in unit 43. I was in the East Snowmass creek drainage last September on a goat hunt. I didn’t see any bears or sign.

WKR
If you can find food sources, you'll find bears. Have not hunted the unit, but berries are great if you find them. Also any oak brush if there is any there will hold them. Good luck!

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I"m headed out this weekend to scout for a few days. Probably going to check out Coal Basin area. If anyone has any pointers in the area please shoot me a DM.

WKR
I just cruised over 43 on ONx. Looks like a ton of oak brush and berries at the 7800 elev mark. I'd find thickets along any of the creeks. My preferred is to find spots you can glass from one canyon wall over to the other side. Often times you can see them moving branches and get a shot. I am hearing its a decent berry year so between choke cherry thickets and oak brush with acorns, you should find bear sign.

I did not find any remote ponds in the area, but a good look on Onx might turn some up. If you find any, check them for tracks for sure. You should be in bears in there though based on the amount of food sources I was seeing.

Lhotse

FNG
My home WMU. Sadly, I have a tag for 47 this year.

Lots of bears in 43. I think the advice above, getting up on a ridge where you can glass the lush drainages will be a good strategy. We often see bear at dusk working through the thick brush next to streams.

If you get desperate, drop me a pm. I know a watering hole that seems to get a lot of bear traffic, at least later in the season.

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
My home WMU. Sadly, I have a tag for 47 this year.

Lots of bears in 43. I think the advice above, getting up on a ridge where you can glass the lush drainages will be a good strategy. We often see bear at dusk working through the thick brush next to streams.

If you get desperate, drop me a pm. I know a watering hole that seems to get a lot of bear traffic, at least later in the season.
Thanks. I’ll shoot you a DM.

crich

WKR
That’s crazy haha. I will scout the area.
Sounds like if you get up high and glass to find find other camps you might be in luck. Backpackers like to hike early and late in the day because the instagram lighting is the most optimal. Their food will be most vulnerable at that time you should have luck spotting a bear ravaging a tent and have a clear shot 🤣

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like if you get up high and glass to find find other camps you might be in luck. Backpackers like to hike early and late in the day because the instagram lighting is the most optimal. Their food will be most vulnerable at that time you should have luck spotting a bear ravaging a tent and have a clear shot 🤣
Just trying to save their stash of candy bars. It’s basically a public service ;-)

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord