First Buck

Super thankful to tag this awesome 4th season public land buck! This was my first buck and it took some time to accumulate enough points to go on this hunt. It was near my home in Colorado and in an area I am generally familiar with just never hunted big game in before.

Opening morning I spotted several groups of deer and decided to get a closer look at a nearby group that I glassed several bucks in. I got to a rock 300 yards away that I used as cover but didn’t see any bucks I was interested in. I decided to hang out to keep glassing some nearby areas and kept checking back on the group below me. Eventually a bigger 4x4 showed up pushing some of the smaller bucks around. It took some time before he bedded in a spot where I could get a shot. I had to butt scoot into a position to get around some bushes but was then able to get prone. I settled down and and got my breathing under control since I was super excited to say the least. I shot high shoulder and he laid down right in his bed. When I approached I needed one more shot to put him out completely but it was a done deal.

Haven’t scored him yet and super happy regardless of the score, but any guesses? Not super wide but decently thick with a small cheater on his right antler.

Last edited:
OP
M
Good shot.
By far the furthest shot I have taken in the field. I was practicing up to 400 yards and am set on that being the longest range I am comfortable taking on an animal. It was fun to challenge myself with the 300 yard shot and glad it put him down quickly

jtrav543

FNG
Super thankful to tag this awesome 4th season public land buck! This was my first buck and it took some time to accumulate enough points to go on this hunt. It was near my home in Colorado and in an area I am generally familiar with just never hunted big game in before.

Opening morning I spotted several groups of deer and decided to get a closer look at a nearby group that I glassed several bucks in. I got to a rock 300 yards away that I used as cover but didn’t see any bucks I was interested in. I decided to hang out to keep glassing some nearby areas and kept checking back on the group below me. Eventually a bigger 4x4 showed up pushing some of the smaller bucks around. It took some time before he bedded in a spot where I could get a shot. I had to butt scoot into a position to get around some bushes but was then able to get prone. I settled down and and got my breathing under control since I was super excited to say the least. I shot high shoulder and he laid down right in his bed. When I approached I needed one more shot to put him out completely but it was a done deal.

Haven’t scored him yet and super happy regardless of the score, but any guesses? Not super wide but decently thick with a small cheater on his right antler.
Awesome buck. Congrats

OP
M
You can score him yourself on the Boone & Crockett website they have a calculator and you just input the measurements and it will add it all up
I recently did a rough gross score as I was cleaning the skull for a euro mount. Came out to 153 after rounding down half an inch. Pretty happy with the heavy set antlers and the 5th cheater on the right side for my first buck!