Colorado 4th Season Mule Deer tips

I picked up a leftover 4th season (Nov 24-28) mule deer tag and was curious if anyone had any tips for locating bucks. I'm guessing/hoping they will be rutting and they should be lower in elevation. Any info would be graciously accepted.

Getting up high and glassing is beneficial if the terrain allows it. Having a good warm camp and being able to drive the roads given almost any condition has helped me overall. I can cover multiple areas that way and feel recharged at night. Find the does and the bucks shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck!

Laramie

WKR
Find does on public. Shoot big buck following does. There is nothing to hope for- they will absolutely be rutting. The challenge will be looking at all the big bucks on private that you can't shoot.

topher89

WKR
Tire Chains. November in Colorado can cover the whole span of possible weather. Later in the month I would definitely expect snow on the ground but it could also be warmer which means puddles and mud.

Glass for does and find as many groups as you can and keep tabs on them. Bucks will show up eventually.

You are correct on the lower elevation.

don't shoot the first buck you see! let the first medium/big type of buck go to have chance at a real big un

FalFreak

FNG
I second the chains/reliable 4x4 vehicle during 4th rifle. Access becomes paramount that time of year in CO. I've had to break camp and book out of the Muddy Pass area during a storm, others ended up with their trailers up there till spring.

What unit did you score? A friend turned in a 4th season tag and it went this morning. PM if you don't want to make it public.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Having a vehicle that can get you anywhere you want to go. Had a 3rd season tag last year and after day 4 I was not comfortable driving up a road where if you slid a foot you would be dead. Have chains for all 4 tires. Other rescue equipment. You need to find doe groups and check them every day. Don’t sit on one it two groups. Find multiple and cover country checking for the big bucks with them.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
RIP Colorado mule deer genetics

Just going off what I've understood from biologists and how deer herd genetics work in practice, hunting pressure, even extreme pressure, doesn't exert much/any effects on the genetics of a population. Maybe that's wrong since I'm not personally an expert, but seems that's what the studies have said. However age class and the great baby giants never getting a chance to grow into actual giants....ya, not feeling as optimistic about how that might trend in CO.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice in this thread about getting around.

Guessing a leftover 4th comes with private access issues? My late season plan A is living behind glass and relying on it as tool #1. Glass Glass Glass, balanced with moving to cover country. Adapt to observations and current conditions - follow bucks to timber and still hunt when observations suggest.

For primetime hours, I like to use a quicker pace of glassing and moving between spots, trying to get eyes on as much good country as possible, working from an assumption bucks are up on their feet and I'd spot them quicker. I like to gather current movement activity/vibes from doe groups and young bucks, then sort of extrapolate that to a generality on the mature bucks, supposing some correlation, but that mature bucks will tend to bed first/get up last. Always exceptions. Pre planned routes for quick transitions between glassing spots to check new country within prime hours has been productive. Until you gather intel to narrow in on a specific area that is. For mid-day hours, I usually slow down pace and spend more time at each vantage. Looking for ear twitches, antler tines, and staring through shadows. This time of year I really try to maintain same focus for all mid-day hours as well - short daylight time and higher movement. When doe groups are in view, I'll direct focus on surrounding cover - bucks might be creeping around to check on things but not wandering to be killed. A warm comfy camp is very helpful for maintaining focus over the duration of your hunt.

Last edited:
Just going off what I've understood from biologists and how deer herd genetics work in practice, hunting pressure, even extreme pressure, doesn't exert much/any effects on the genetics of a population. Maybe that's wrong since I'm not personally an expert, but seems that's what the studies have said. However age class and the great baby giants never getting a chance to grow into actual giants....ya, not feeling as optimistic about how that might trend in CO.
Yea I’ve noticed a decline in the amount of big bucks ever since they created the 4th rifle season. Deer quality has gone way down.
This late season this year could be late enough to wack a lot of mature bucks.
But from what I understand the CPW wants that. They think mature bucks spread CWD And want them killed

OP
powersjj00
How did your hunt end up going?
It was fun. The unit I was hunting had a lot of doe tag hunters. I actually helped a guy pack out a doe after going in on a stalk with him. We spotted a bunch of does and I tagged along to see if any bucks would show up. Glassed up a really nice moose! Overall it was eventful but ended up with tag soup.20211127_115530.jpg