Colorado 500, 501, 551

I would like to run a few questions by someone that has hunted in these units archery, ML or 1st rifle time frame. Shoot me a PM or let me know and I will PM you.

Do you have any preference points going into the draw? As a NR you're gonna need a few points to draw these units.

11boo

WKR
I have a cow tag for 500 2nd rifle backing up my archery hunt. Usually a easy elk, but if I score with my bow I’ll turn it back in. The elk can be anywhere between Kenosha and FairPlay. Watched CPW bust a couple guys for shooting a deer from their truck on some back road. Good bust.

Pretty easy draw for a resident, 50/50 with no points. No idea non resident. Lots of private land , know your boundaries.

First rifle is usually tough up there. Lots of spikes too.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have hunted them a lot in the past but in resent years the draw has gone from 1 or 2 points to a 4 point unit. The Elk are good in all three units and the biggest elk I have seen in there was about 350+. The people are crazy thick I grade a unit on how may animals I see agents hunters I see and I would say you will see 10 hunters for every elk you see if you get off the road and hick.

11boo

WKR
We drew with one point. You will see other hunters for sure, but I think there are less than 1k tags available for all the seasons. Seems like there were 160 tags for the last rifle hunt I did in 500.

Never done better than a 5x dink bull when I was bull hunting. Mostly 4x bulls are what we have taken.
Now I’m just happy to put a cow in the freezer.
The moose population seems to be doing really well .

OP
MuleyFever
Interesting. When I was there in July I talked to a local that said the elk around his place had pretty much disappeared but now he is seeing quite a few moose.