Colorado 66 Beetle Kill

Should be drawing a unit 66 archery elk tag this year and I was curious how bad the beetle kill was in this unit and if anyone had specifically hunted these areas for elk.

Thanks
Ryan

Extrapale

WKR
I deer hunted there last year. I did not see what I would consider significant beetle kill.

There were multiple areas where a lot of cleanup was taking or had taken place. Specifically up on Blue Mesa and along the Southern border of the unit in areas outside the Wilderness.

We did most of our hunting around Calf Creek Plateau. There was some in the wilderness areas. Not like places I hunt in Oregon where you could walk a mile and not tough the ground though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
Moose Drool
Hey thanks for the response. I saw the recent timber cuts just off the highway on the south side of the unit. I assume that’s the beetle kill they are thinning out. Was it pretty dry up there on calf creek plateau?

Extrapale

WKR
The top is pretty dry. There are lakes and streams around treeline.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is quite a bit in areas of the uncompahgre wilderness. We are in there quite a bit most years and while some areas seem unaffected, others are quite dead. PM me if your lookin for any intel.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted elk there in ‘17 and I thought there was a significant amount of beetle kill up high