Colorado 67

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading to Colorado for a 2nd season hunt in 67 for deer and just looking for some general info. Curious if anyone has camped there and possible locations for camping to check out, I see alot of people hunt from town but not looking to do that for now. I have wall tent setup that we've used for years. I also have a atv and SxS I'm planning on taking 1 just not sure which 1, wondering if the majority of the roads are doable in a pickup for the most part and just have the wheeler when i need it or if a SxS is the way to go for quick traveling rather than the truck. Not exactly sure what areas we'll be concentrating on, will probably bonce around a bit I'm sure. PM me if you'd like any info appreciated, Thanks

Thomas11

WKR
The roads in the unit are very good and easily traveled w a vehicle but obviously u could get snow in second season. I’d take my SxS for sure for that reason

Grant K

FNG
Lots of dispersed camping to be had, I'd probably be trying to find a spot relatively close to one of the main highways on the perimeter of the unit to make moving around easier, more or less pick a road off the highway and there's probably an established campsite within a mile... truck gets you around pretty well on the backroads, I'd maybe lean toward an ATV for ease of packing it around on the highway to different access points.

I've got a 3rd season tag so I'll probably be in the area around 2nd season trying to get a good buck located, let me know if you have any area-specific questions.

I am also hunting 2nd season GMU 67, but for elk. There are lots of good roads accessible by truck. With the season being pushed back further, there's a higher chance of snow than previous 2nd seasons. 4WD should do the trick though. I wouldn't be without a high jack, straps, chains, and a winch though. I've gotten stuck plenty of times in 67, only once did it require a backhoe to pull me out.

I don't camp, but there are lots of areas to camp. Lots of the good ones seem to get taken pretty quickly, so not sure how early you're getting out there.

OP
W

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I am also hunting 2nd season GMU 67, but for elk. There are lots of good roads accessible by truck. With the season being pushed back further, there's a higher chance of snow than previous 2nd seasons. 4WD should do the trick though. I wouldn't be without a high jack, straps, chains, and a winch though. I've gotten stuck plenty of times in 67, only once did it require a backhoe to pull me out.

I don't camp, but there are lots of areas to camp. Lots of the good ones seem to get taken pretty quickly, so not sure how early you're getting out there.
I'm not quite as confident as you are @GringoBling for off roading if it's western enough that I need a winch and highjack for my pickup I'm going to resort to the SxS or wheeler, hopefully I won't have to find a backhoe.

OP
W

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys we'll be getting in Thursday before season so we'll get a little time to look around, I'm hoping to get down there in a couple weeks for a quick little weekend scout trip so I'm not going in totally blind other than looking at google earth, summer has flown by with September losing in quick. Seems like a fun place to hunt from others experiences, looking forward to the trip.

OP
W

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
We will be in there for 3rd season. I have an elk tag and buddy has a deer tag. Just got back yesterday from 4 days of scouting.
I was down a couple weeks ago for a little weekend trip for acess and logistics, didn't get much actual scouting done but got a lay out the unit and places to camp so hopefully make the transition from setting up camp to scouting/hunting quicker when we get there.

I was down a couple weeks ago for a little weekend trip for acess and logistics, didn't get much actual scouting done but got a lay out the unit and places to camp so hopefully make the transition from setting up camp to scouting/hunting quicker when we get there.
How'd your scouting trip go?

OP
W

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't get much actual scouting for deer done, was more of learn the road and find some access points. Found some potential hunting spots and parking areas. I sure hope the deer will be there😬, I'm sure they will, its a bigger unit than i thought and forest is pretty dense. Hunting looks like it will be fun. Getting close only 30 days away. Let me know where you saw those nice deer and I'll let you know where i see the big bulls on my way out😜.

jdrami36

FNG
definitely some good opportunities in 67. Hope for some weather and hunt hard! I'd vote for the SxS but thats just me. good luck