Colorado 71/711 mule deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience hunting mule deer in these units , picked up a 2nd season tag this year and have no clue what to expect, I know it can be highly pressured , just wondering if it’s possible to get away from people , is it highly dependent on weather ? Take a wall tent or stay in a hotel somewhere where? Drag the side by side along ? Unit I usually hunt crept way up there so diving into something new , pretty excited to see new country, and it’s better then sitting at home , any advice would be greatly appreciated

Poser

WKR
Hunting new units blind, I wouldn’t take the wall tent or plan to stay in a hotel, else you’re gonna end up doing a lot of driving. If you’re going to bounce around 2 units until you find elk, would likely be best to truck camp. Rico only has 1 hotel and it’s small. There are some VRBOs, though. Telluride is crazy expensive . Dolores has some options and Cortez likely has the most affordable options. There are lots of 4wd rds and plenty of foot/bike/horse access trailheads as well.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting new units blind, I wouldn’t take the wall tent or plan to stay in a hotel, else you’re gonna end up doing a lot of driving. If you’re going to bounce around 2 units until you find elk, would likely be best to truck camp. Rico only has 1 hotel and it’s small. There are some VRBOs, though. Telluride is crazy expensive . Dolores has some options and Cortez likely has the most affordable options. There are lots of 4wd rds and plenty of foot/bike/horse access trailheads as well.
Actually hunting deer , I should’ve clarified that , and I agree the more mobile the better , have you ever hunted deer there?

Poser

WKR
Actually hunting deer , I should’ve clarified that , and I agree the more mobile the better , have you ever hunted deer there?

I haven’t but live close and spent time in there hiking, Mtn biking, camping and backcountry skiing.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I hunted it back in '18 and there's a reason I haven't been back. PM me if you'd like my input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ahansel

FNG
I hunted it back in '18 and there's a reason I haven't been back. PM me if you'd like my input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jimmy, I'm hunting CO 711 for deer during 3rd rifle this year. First time hunting the unit and won't have time to scout beforehand. You willing to sync up and share what you're willing to from your experience in '18? Thanks man.

Rich M

WKR
Jimmy, I'm hunting CO 711 for deer during 3rd rifle this year. First time hunting the unit and won't have time to scout beforehand. You willing to sync up and share what you're willing to from your experience in '18? Thanks man.
Do you have enough posts to PM him yet?

UtahJimmy

WKR
PM sent

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.