Colorado 74

travism38

FNG
My father and i were fortunate enough (or maybe not) to draw 2 1st rifle limited area 74 bull tags. This will be my third season pursuing elk but my first in colorado. the unit has what seems to be a vast amount of public land compared to what im used to in wyoming, and it is a bit overwhelming.
That being said, does anyone have any insight on where to start? Only expecting to have two days of scouting before season and it is a large area to scout.

Elkbelch

FNG
In the old days I’d send off for US geological survey maps, these days I’d just use Google Earth. Still have all those old maps and I still use them for the topo lines

Shawn

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
First post and you come in asking for a hunting spot? Might want to start in the introduction forum, read the rules and figure out how to use the search function first....
I am here with a purpose and the purpose being to find elk. I went through search results and once i was reading replies dated 2019 i figured that was far enough. Being as that you had nothing to actually contribute, Why even reply to the thread?

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
Iv been looking through Onx, Gmaps and arcgis for the past week and it can all be pretty overwhelming. If noone wants to give away their honeyhole i understand, but is there anywhere that should be avoided? Large guide presence in specific areas? I have read of a guide that keeps an camp in hermosa.

This will go well.

Understand that if/when someone gives you info, it puts anyone else who searches/Googles the same parameters in your lap as well.

Just how the internet works.

My best advice is to get to the local bars and buy lots of booze, that's how my friends found spots anyways.

renagde

WKR
I am here with a purpose and the purpose being to find elk. I went through search results and once i was reading replies dated 2019 i figured that was far enough. Being as that you had nothing to actually contribute, Why even reply to the thread?
Or maybe it’s because some of us have invested years into a unit and we don’t want that information smeared all over the web.

Consider yourself lucky that there’s no private land for elk to seek refuge on. That means your possibilities are endless. It’s just you, the elk, and the mountains. No property lines. I stay far from private. Good luck.

And by the way one week of online searching at the end of September? Really

Food, water, escape cover. Pick a spot and hunt it. If it sucks, put an X on your map and pick another spot. Probably good to go back further than 2019 and keep reading. Most people who have well developed spots have read every stitch of information they can find on it, until they run out of search results. You might find a nugget of information in all those older posts, use that as a starting point. Then call the local DOW field office biologist and ask them about your list of specific spots, they can give you insight into field conditions. Then get out there and physically investigate each of these potential locations, and learn them. Colorado is crazy over crowded, there will be pressure everywhere, you either need to out hike, or out smart the other hunters, and figure out where they will move the elk.

And yes, these big units are overwhelming, they take more than a few days of study to understand, I've been hunting the same units for 20 years, and still spend weeks going over maps and aerial views every year trying to pick out details I might have missed. Finding elk in Colorado isn't a short term game. They are everywhere, and nowhere all at once. Good luck on your hunt.

6v046t (1).jpg

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I live in unit 74.

As of now, the Euro is anticipating 12.9 inches of snow by the end of Oct for the Northern end of the unit. Depending on the snow line elevation, when and at what intensity that weather arrives, you may need to have a low and high tide plan.

Matt83

FNG
I shot the bull in my profile photo in 74 during archery season last year (sept 18,2021). We hunted the wilderness area bc others can’t use motorized transport. I will tell you the area is steep and nasty. I shot my bull 3 hours after dropping camp and it took 5 guys 48 hours to get it to the truck. At one point we began removing quarters from our packs. Ended up great but talk about an absolute back breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I shot the bull in my profile photo in 74 during archery season last year (sept 18,2021). We hunted the wilderness area bc others can’t use motorized transport. I will tell you the area is steep and nasty. I shot my bull 3 hours after dropping camp and it took 5 guys 48 hours to get it to the truck. At one point we began removing quarters from our packs. Ended up great but talk about an absolute back breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR shoots BOAL in wilderness area.

To be clear here, though, the WA in 74 is relatively small compared to the size of the unit and the WA in general and there is likely more total square mileage in the non wildernesses areas of the unit that aren’t directly motor vehicle accessible. Unless you’re wanting to avoid Mtn bikes in general, you have 70+ miles of the CO Trail that have only 3 or vehicle access points + a short stretch open to direct bikes. Purgatory area is the greatest concentration of roads, but the WA at its widest point in 74 is only 4.5 miles across and difficult to ever be more than 3 miles linear distance from a road in the WA of 74. That same minimum linear distance from a road is easily attainable throughout the unit.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I say the replies, all in all, provide some "on the ground" intel re wilderness, snowpack concerns, access points and wheeled activity. That improves the odds and cost was $0. I agree with the observation that is late in the planning process to basically not have the map of 74 sliced and diced to "avoid" compartments, "looks good" sections and "not sure" segments.

I like to have where I will be when the sun comes up on Day 1 nailed down weeks before the season. I try to have 3 more spots in the unit for Day 2, etc. Roads close, fires happen, loose lips sends 30 horse trailers to a single trailhead, etc.

Good luck to the OP. Odds the OP posts on Rokslide even one time within 90 days after this November are currently set at 5% in the local betting pool we operate. Just saying we have heard a similar tune many times over the years and the singing usually stops a day before season opens.

KHNC

WKR
Kentucky has a ton of public land for deer. WOuld you mind posting where some of your best spots are located that you have found over the years? I havent hunted KY since 2017 and i was hoping to get some updated first hand info for the upcoming rut this year. Be sure to include what county and name of the public area. Thanks!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Iv been looking through Onx, Gmaps and arcgis for the past week and it can all be pretty overwhelming. If noone wants to give away their honeyhole i understand, but is there anywhere that should be avoided? Large guide presence in specific areas? I have read of a guide that keeps an camp in hermosa.
Hey bub… watch some YouTubes, and figure out what a nasty hell hole looks like on a topo map. Then opening morning be overlooking one of those, bulls will be on the move headed to rough country with their buddies. Might still be a cow or two coming into second cycle but with the later 1st season dates I wouldn’t count on it.

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
Kentucky has a ton of public land for deer. WOuld you mind posting where some of your best spots are located that you have found over the years? I havent hunted KY since 2017 and i was hoping to get some updated first hand info for the upcoming rut this year. Be sure to include what county and name of the public area. Thanks!
Never deer hunted public in KY. However, have friends who have had great success hunting taylorsville lake and Fort knox.