Colorado 75/751 Trespass Hunt

Happy Sunday Roksliders!

So I drew a 3rd season rifle mule deer tag this year in Colorado unit 75/751 and thought I hit the jackpot. Been super excited and spending every spare minute on OnX and BaseMap since I drew trying to eScout that perfect public land spot. This would be my first solo Western trip and was really looking forward to pushing myself to the limit to see what I can do.

Long story short, my tag came in the mail yesterday and much to my surprise, it is private land only! Apparently I inadvertently typed the wrong hunt code, D-M-075-P3-R instead of D-M-075-O3-R. Boneheaded mistake, but what's done is done, and now trying to make the best of a crappy situation. Honestly not sure how it happened, but you can bet I'll always double, triple and quadruple check in the future!

Just wondering if anyone has any leads on trespass hunts in either of those areas, or any outfitters running hunts on private land there that may have openings. Guess if anyone knows someone who would let me hunt their land for free would be of interest as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one! Lol. Not what I was really expecting to have to do, but I'd rather hunt than just eat the tag with no private land to hunt on. Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

Last edited:
Bummer man. I wish I could help. I just don’t know anyone out that way.
I highly suggest you put this out on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace Durango/bayfield. I’ve seen miracles happen on both those.

the other thing would be to turn your tag in if nothing works out as you get closer to hunting season. Try for a leftover tag starting in early aug. Might never work to replace 75/751 3rd rifle deer. But, you could get another decent unit/season and make a go of it. I bet the odds for leftovers is probably much better than finding a landowner in 75/751 for free. It based on the amount of new applications in the draw this year, I wouldn’t put a dime bet on anything.
good luck. If I hear something I’ll let ya know

OP
S
Thanks. I had considered turning the tag back in, but would much rather try to make a go of it than not going anywhere. I’m even willing to pay a trespass fee or a reasonable outfitter fee if need be, but I’ve learned those are very hard to come by in that area as well. Just doesn’t seem to be much out there in that realm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk