Colorado 76 1st rifle

kpalu

FNG
Hi everyone,

I drew a 76 1st rifle tag this year and am planning a scouting trip for August. I've looked at summer concentration maps and have a couple ideas of where to start. I'm not looking for anyone to give up there secret spots, just looking for a little direction on where to start.

Thanks in advance

LandYacht

WKR
Drew an archery tag and have had three scouting trips into the area. I think you’ll love it, I do so far.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Hi everyone,

I drew a 76 1st rifle tag this year and am planning a scouting trip for August. I've looked at summer concentration maps and have a couple ideas of where to start. I'm not looking for anyone to give up there secret spots, just looking for a little direction on where to start.

Thanks in advance
Put the key in the ignition. 😁

Beendare

WKR
Dude, that is one of the best elk tags in Colorado....a guy could practically kill a bull blindfolded in that unit in the first rifle season.

Just pick a TH, and be in your spot ready to go an hour before light.....

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite place in CO! Hunted both archery and 1st rifle there. Summer concentration maps are pretty accurate but alot of places hold elk that are not in the "concentration". There are literally 100's of places to hunt in this unit, pick a few out, scout, hunt.
You should do fine. IMO not alot of huge bulls but quite a few "good" bulls for Colorado anyway, remember this is not a trophy Arizona or Utah tag.

Poser

WKR
I spend some time riding bikes on the CO Trail section between Stony Pass and the Lake City side during the summer. Not yet this year because there’s still a lot of snow up there. Heard and seen some elk, but that area may be too high for first rifle because winter comes quickly above 12,000 feet.

cowboy300

WKR
Hunt right at timberline and have a back up plan if you get a big early snow. The elk will head down quick if they think winter is starting early.