Colorado 80% let off. Need bow help

MylesH

FNG
So I am going on my first ever elk hunting trip and just found out that Colorado has a maximum of 80% let off for archery hunters bows. My bow is around 84% let off and needs to be changed to the correct let off so it is legal to hunt with. I own a Prime centergy hybrid and was wondering if it is possible to change my draw stops and still be able to set the timing without a draw board available. I would go to a pro shop but there aren't any here in Florida...

It's up to you but I have run into a few wardens out there, never asked me to remove my bow from the case. Don't think they carry a pocket bow scale with them.

Brendan

WKR
Draw stops should be set at full draw, so you need a draw board.

But, pretty easy to build a draw board in a pinch, or just find someone local to you that has one, experience with primes, and bribe them with beer.

It will also slightly shorten your draw length (if you care) unless you start playing the game of twisting up other cables to match, which ups poundage as well...

Hoot

WKR
Yes on your prime you can play with the draw stops to decrease letoff/micro adjust draw length.

As stated, you’ll need to re-time...

You can download the owners manual for your bow from primes website and it will tell you which way you’ll need to move them...

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I just accomplished this on my Centergy Hybrid by moving the drawstops in a bit and retiming. Went from 60.4 max, 10.4 holding (82.7% letoff) to 12.2 holding (79.8% letoff). But I do have a bowscale, press, drawboard, etc...

The odds of a wardens scale being dead on with mine, or even being checked, probably zero. At least I did what I could to make sure I was within the law to the best of my ability. Might even snap a few pics of my scale prior to the trip.

Gumbo

WKR
It's up to you but I have run into a few wardens out there, never asked me to remove my bow from the case. Don't think they carry a pocket bow scale with them.

They might not, but if it is illegal it is illegal. Montana has a similar law and I know plenty of people who break it, IMO it is an outdated law, even P&Y updated their policy, but it is still a law. FWIW the MT law is based on manufacturers' advertisements, so even if you manipulate your 85% letoff to 80% you are still in violation. Similarly, if you do the opposite you are still legal. This is so that citations will stand up in court and so that wardens are not required to carry certified, calibrated scales.

Jbehredt

WKR
They might not, but if it is illegal it is illegal. Montana has a similar law and I know plenty of people who break it, IMO it is an outdated law, even P&Y updated their policy, but it is still a law. FWIW the MT law is based on manufacturers' advertisements, so even if you manipulate your 85% letoff to 80% you are still in violation. Similarly, if you do the opposite you are still legal. This is so that citations will stand up in court and so that wardens are not required to carry certified, calibrated scales.

Good information. Thanks for posting.

I understand completely. I think it's something that you wouldn't get hassled over unless they already caught you doing something else. Just something to add charges with.

I didn't realize how easy it was on the Prime to change the let off. Haven't ever messed with one. Sounds like it's similar to the Elite's. Years ago with my hoyts I always ran them on the 65% let off.

Gumbo

WKR
I understand completely. I think it's something that you wouldn't get hassled over unless they already caught you doing something else. Just something to add charges with.

I didn't realize how easy it was on the Prime to change the let off. Haven't ever messed with one. Sounds like it's similar to the Elite's. Years ago with my hoyts I always ran them on the 65% let off.

None of the wardens I know seem to give a shit about letoff either, its a dumb law IMO. If the bow I wanted was advertised at 85% I would be really tempted. Thankfully Bowtechs are advertised at 80% but in comfort are 85%, so I'm good in the eyes of the MT law! Again, kind of ridiculous, I mean what advantage is it really? It's not like you can sit there for 10 minutes at full draw at 81%...

I got a reckoning earlier this year and I think it is the same story as the primes because they have an infinite draw stop range. I must say I haven't tinkered with it yet, and probably won't in terms of letoff, but it might be nice to micro adjust draw length.

Cheers...

Inseason

FNG
My first post here, I’ll just add that it’s not a stupid law, they just want to keep it archery an not end up at 99% let off an no real effort, might as well be a crossbow. That’s also why they have the muzzleloader laws they do.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
My first post here, I’ll just add that it’s not a stupid law, they just want to keep it archery an not end up at 99% let off an no real effort, might as well be a crossbow. That’s also why they have the muzzleloader laws they do.
Having 85% or even 90% letoff isn't going to magically make it not archery. You still have to expend the effort to draw the bow, so there is still real effort. The law currently says no mechanical devices may be used to draw or hold the bow under tension. So that rule alone omits crossbows from being used.

So, for the time being, yes, it is a fairly unreasonable law. The law being what it is though, I'll follow it to the letter. An extra 3 pounds of holding weight isn't going to hurt me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Here in Washington there was a big deal made about lighted nocks, mechanical broadheads and using 209 primers for muzzleloaders.

I get the spirit of what these people are going for, but none of the above make the weapons or the hunt any easier. It’s not like you’re putting optics on the muzzleloader or legalizing crossbows.

TheViking

WKR
You can purchase 80% let off mods for the cams.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes. Go to your local Hoyt dealer and they are like $40. They take two mins to install and don’t mess with your tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk