Colorado .. a rainforest??

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I’m an eastern boy so maybe I’m getting a skewed view, but is it just me or is central Colorado getting drowned compared to usual? I swear every time I check the weather for my upcoming hunt area, it’s raining. I was expecting dry crusty noses and fire bans, not rain pants and wrinkled fingers.

Will it get this out of its system before early September, or should I be looking for good rain gear?

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Just a great monsoon flow right now, thankfully !

Oh no doubt I’m glad to see them get it, as it’s clearly needed. But just making me stress about my trip lol seems the whole west is getting some well needed rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, keep it going. The last time we hunted and it was wet,(2013 I believe) we had a great hunt. Elk were killing the mushrooms....The crappy weather got to us some but overall we had a blast. Nice to have a bit of rain every day so everything isn't so crispy.

RE rain gear,, even as wet as it was that year, I predominantly just wore a Cabela's space rain top and threw a pack cover on Typically storms wouldn't last too long

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, keep it going. The last time we hunted and it was wet,(2013 I believe) we had a great hunt. Elk were killing the mushrooms....The crappy weather got to us some but overall we had a blast. Nice to have a bit of rain every day so everything isn't so crispy.

RE rain gear,, even as wet as it was that year, I predominantly just wore a Cabela's space rain top and threw a pack cover on Typically storms wouldn't last too long

Great insight, thanks!

Oh no doubt I’m glad to see them get it, as it’s clearly needed. But just making me stress about my trip lol seems the whole west is getting some well needed rain

Not the whole west… the actual rainforest on the coast could use some of that rain… it’s not terrible, just normal august dry… still pretty green like always, but I would love to see some rain…

If I were going into the mountains of CO in September, I would probably make sure I had some good rain gear, it’s a terrible place to try to save money considering what it could mean to your precious time in the mountains.

If you don’t need it, you still have it for the future or sell it after the season, if it’s good gear, it will sell fairly quickly

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Wish EO was getting that rain. Where we hunt there is a natural seep that produces water year around since my dad started hunting the area (1970's). ODFW/foret service shoved a pipe into the rock many years ago and it feeds out to the meadow and trough below. This year it is bone dry. Not a drop. Last year it was a trickle, but it still produced a giant green meadow and overflowed a 12ft wide tire cut in half to make a cow trough. That big tire was a godsend during archery season last year. Took many baths in it once we cleaned it out a bit.

The answer is Yes we are getting a great monsoon season this year and will take each inch of rain we can get ! Even here on the western slope, this morning the cloud cover was below the top of the Grand Mesa socked in, right now setting up for more storms around us here. The high country has been getting steady hard amounts of rain too. I had to pull out of a few of my fishing backpack trips this summer. Bring rain gear and be ready for mud and snow if this pattern stays with us, which we that live here want.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
The answer is Yes we are getting a great monsoon season this year and will take each inch of rain we can get ! Even here on the western slope, this morning the cloud cover was below the top of the Grand Mesa socked in, right now setting up for more storms around us here. The high country has been getting steady hard amounts of rain too. I had to pull out of a few of my fishing backpack trips this summer. Bring rain gear and be ready for mud and snow if this pattern stays with us, which we that live here want.

Right on. I won’t try and pray your rain away, but I might be a little grumpy about it haha

Right on. I won’t try and pray your rain away, but I might be a little grumpy about it haha

Don't mess with our rain! No anti-rain dances! Just be ready for chest high ferns... lol. It has been getting colder up high already, had several 40 degree nights at 8000ft already. I love hunting in the rain, it's about as good as it gets, other then slipping and sliding in the muck on the steep stuff. Antler growth has been great this year, seen several nice bulls so far this summer that look great (although unfortunately, they live in peoples yards in Evergreen....) and the mule deer have been doing very well, look nice and healthy, lots of good browse.

Wish EO was getting that rain. Where we hunt there is a natural seep that produces water year around since my dad started hunting the area (1970's). ODFW/foret service shoved a pipe into the rock many years ago and it feeds out to the meadow and trough below. This year it is bone dry. Not a drop. Last year it was a trickle, but it still produced a giant green meadow and overflowed a 12ft wide tire cut in half to make a cow trough. That big tire was a godsend during archery season last year. Took many baths in it once we cleaned it out a bit.
It’s crazy how cool and wet it was late into the spring, then the light switched and it’s been brutally hot and dry.

Last Thursday driving back home (to the coast) from enterprise, just west of wallowa in the canyon, it was some of the nastiest weather I’ve seen, and I grew up on the coast and have worked a good amount in SE Alaska, it was incredible rain for a bit, and I got lucky because about 30 minutes after I went through, that same band of clouds dumped baseball sized hail in wallowa and did a ton of damage totaling vehicles, taking the siding off of homes, and caused a lot of hell, I literally missed it by a few minutes thankfully… it was 97 and dry while we were working, and by the time I got back to Pendleton it was just shy of 100… pretty crazy

For the past few weeks, it’s been over 100 more days than under in Pendleton/Hermiston where I was working and crazy dry… we have to do some digging, and 2 feet down, still completely dry and dusty…

Went from flooding to hot and dusty in a very short time

Glad to hear CO is getting much needed moisture, been a weird weather year.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
It’s crazy how cool and wet it was late into the spring, then the light switched and it’s been brutally hot and dry.

Last Thursday driving back home (to the coast) from enterprise, just west of wallowa in the canyon, it was some of the nastiest weather I’ve seen, and I grew up on the coast and have worked a good amount in SE Alaska, it was incredible rain for a bit, and I got lucky because about 30 minutes after I went through, that same band of clouds dumped baseball sized hail in wallowa and did a ton of damage totaling vehicles, taking the siding off of homes, and caused a lot of hell, I literally missed it by a few minutes thankfully… it was 97 and dry while we were working, and by the time I got back to Pendleton it was just shy of 100… pretty crazy

For the past few weeks, it’s been over 100 more days than under in Pendleton/Hermiston where I was working and crazy dry… we have to do some digging, and 2 feet down, still completely dry and dusty…

Went from flooding to hot and dusty in a very short time

Wallowa got slammed last week. My hunting buddys wife sister lives there. They lost 3 out of 4 of their rigs and 5 west facing windows. Luckily she and her daughters were in Joseph during it.

They sent me their neighbors video of their house and its insane. Baseball hail through the windows and roof, cars completely smashed in, etc. They said the hail even made it through the ceiling in spots...

Then I got a picture text a few days later of a 95mph Tornado rolling around Wallowa. They just can't catch a break. Luckily that guy avoided their place.

Pops was over east scouting a week or two ago and said he has never seen it so dry. We do hunt an area that is usually dryer than most of the rest of the east side, but still. Dust above your boots, hardly any water, etc on a good year ha But it does limit the amount of hunters you see. Will be an interesting hunting season with the lack of moisture and first year archery draw.

You wouldn't happen to be on ifish would you?

And yes glad some western states are getting their monsoon season. Hopefully that continues all the way through winter!

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider

Weird is an understatement. Vegas washed away twice. Colorado getting tons of rain. Had a weird “drought” here in WV for all of June/July, about killed my mowing season, then late July august it’s rained nonstop, multiple inches in 1-2 hours. Wild stuff.

Wallowa got slammed last week. My hunting buddys wife sister lives there. They lost 3 out of 4 of their rigs and 5 west facing windows. Luckily she and her daughters were in Joseph during it.

They sent me their neighbors video of their house and its insane. Baseball hail through the windows and roof, cars completely smashed in, etc. They said the hail even made it through the ceiling in spots...

Then I got a picture text a few days later of a 95mph Tornado rolling around Wallowa. They just can't catch a break. Luckily that guy avoided their place.

Pops was over east scouting a week or two ago and said he has never seen it so dry. We do hunt an area that is usually dryer than most of the rest of the east side, but still. Dust above your boots, hardly any water, etc on a good year ha But it does limit the amount of hunters you see. Will be an interesting hunting season with the lack of moisture and first year archery draw.

You wouldn't happen to be on ifish would you?

And yes glad some western states are getting their monsoon season. Hopefully that continues all the way through winter!
Yeah, almost have to see the video of that storm to believe it, literally sounds like a BS story

I used to be on ifish, but haven’t been on there for probably 2 years, for my own reasons. Still check in on a few people on that site, some really good dudes, but it got a little too diluted with the other type of folks for me