Colorado .. a rainforest??

SSfKxXBh.jpg

XxKWSp6h.jpg

These are from July (that's hail mid-day at 10,500' or so), don't worry our storms don't last long. 40 degree temperature swing, heavy rain, hail, lightening, #2 in US for strikes. Just fine:)
We are not out of the woods yet, water levels are still low. Great feed, large ferns, tall grass and lots of schrooms. The animals are looking good.
As said no anti-rain dances please!

jayhawk

WKR
You should ALWAYS pack rain gear in the mountains. Even if the forecast says "clear". Trust me . . . learned that lesson the hard way.

Yeah it's rainy, but CO is kind of in a banana belt right now.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Would frogtoggs be sufficient for rain gear? I can buy something else if needed but I already have those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they just don’t breath as well but certainly effective

Yeah I figured they’d be good for short storms and they’re super light. My wife is starting to question my spending for this trip.. lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The problem with rain gear is the sweating. I already sweat enough while elk hunting to soak my clothes, and rain gear just makes that worse. So I can get sopping wet with sweat, or I can just go hunting and get sopping wet with rain. Either way, I'm wet.......and I need to dry my clothes. But I will say that the last time we got this kind of rain during the season (2013), the elk hunting was epic. But I'm actually really hoping for it to dry out and warm up for the rut. Warm (or hot) and dry has never seemed to be a problem for the hunting either........it's just a lot more comfortable.

Just make sure you wax your string and cables, and put a little oil on all your small bolt heads, including your sight.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with rain gear is the sweating. I already sweat enough while elk hunting to soak my clothes, and rain gear just makes that worse. So I can get sopping wet with sweat, or I can just go hunting and get sopping wet with rain. Either way, I'm wet.......and I need to dry my clothes. But I will say that the last time we got this kind of rain during the season (2013), the elk hunting was epic. But I'm actually really hoping for it to dry out and warm up for the rut. Warm (or hot) and dry has never seemed to be a problem for the hunting either........it's just a lot more comfortable.

Does this apply to muleys too? Shamefully no elk this trip for us.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider

Does this apply to muleys too? Shamefully no elk this trip for us.

Stoop383

FNG
Yeah, keep it going. The last time we hunted and it was wet,(2013 I believe) we had a great hunt. Elk were killing the mushrooms....The crappy weather got to us some but overall we had a blast. Nice to have a bit of rain every day so everything isn't so crispy.

RE rain gear,, even as wet as it was that year, I predominantly just wore a Cabela's space rain top and threw a pack cover on Typically storms wouldn't last too long
2013 is correct