Colorado add on bear ?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn’t gonna mess with it when I planned on going otc archery but now I got a muzzleloader tag for 15/27 and I’m thinking I might stand a better chance with a smoke pole than a stick and arrow. I read that bears are normally lower elevation than elk that time of year but those units aren’t super steep anyway. Anyone got any insights into if I stand a good chance of seeing a bear or not? I’d appreciate any advice as I’ll be honest I know nothing.

just to put it out there I would consider this a great trip if I got any opportunity at a bear or elk. I’m in it for the fun of it and my father had decided to join me in this adventure bc life’s too short.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I decided not to snag a tag last year otc for bear in the unit I elk hunt due to not thinking I would see any. Sure enough, I found a absolutely beautiful reddish blonde bear up near around 11700 early in the trip and thought cool. Walking Down as my hunt was up I had a black bear side hill me all the way down a trail and come up to me within 15 Ft once I hit the main trail heading out. I regretted so much not having a tag in my pocket. I will forever be grabbing a tag now on.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you like
I could have taken a black bear every year that I archery elk hunted 61. Just chose not too.

Bears absolutely devastate elk calves. If you like elk hunting you owe it to the elk to get a tag and thin the population!!!!

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I’m getting a bear tag. Follow up question; are the hides usually good enough to get anything done with in September? If so anyone got a favorite taxidermist in steamboat springs?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
tried bear meat (roast) onetime that a friend harvested. Another time for bear I shot in self defense. I didn't care much for the bear meat. Maybe its a psyche thing.
I will only take, kill game that I eat. Thus don't shoot coyotes either...and these are big time fawn killers.

If you like
Bears absolutely devastate elk calves. If you like elk hunting you owe it to the elk to get a tag and thin the population!!!!

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
can’t help you with the hide question but I went in on a similar unit last year with muzzleloader mule deer tag and picked up a bear tag ‘just in case’. Last day had a great encounter and almost got a shot at a nice color phase....for $100 bucks, no brainer. Good luck!

bluumoon

WKR
Just moved to SW CO and plan to scout elk w a bear tag in my pocket this year! Hopefully bear sausage is as good as I've heard.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
If a bear tag was available in the area and I had the money I always went ahead and tacked it on there You never know when or where one might turn up especially if there are elk kills around but I like to cook and I'll eat just about anything if I didn't I probably wouldn't bother.