Colorado Antelope Backdoor results

ckleeves

WKR
Looks like I drew a unit 4-5 archery buck tag. Anybody know how the herd is doing in 4-5? I have heard good and bad from different people.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Right on!

Looks like a lucky year for me so far. Drew my archery deer and archery lope tag.
Lope tag is with junior, should be a fun time and hopefully he gets to shoot.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 4 herd? What unit 4 herd? I used to be able to take a 4 mile drive from my house and see easly 100 head just about any day. Last week I saw 14.

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to build points for pronghorn in CO. Seems like a guy could go to Wyoming every 3-4 years instead and have a good hunt. Anyone else on the fence?

I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to build points for pronghorn in CO. Seems like a guy could go to Wyoming every 3-4 years instead and have a good hunt. Anyone else on the fence?

If you have to choose, Wyoming is a FAR better strategy for antelope. I have 13 points in Colorado now, and when I draw, I'm done applying there for antelope.

OP
In God We Trust
I live in Colorado and hunt Wyoming every year for Antelope instead of Colorado if that tells you anything. Colorado is agood hunt if you live here and like to use every tag available but I would not travel here from another state to hunt antelope.

Waiting to see if I drew my second choice archery antelope tag. Not far from the house and figured it'd be a good hunt to take the kids on.

ckleeves

WKR
Unit 4 herd? What unit 4 herd? I used to be able to take a 4 mile drive from my house and see easly 100 head just about any day. Last week I saw 14.

That's what I was afraid of. I may turn the tag in I didn't plan on drawing an archery deer tag again this year but I did and I am going to have to choose my time off work wisely. What caused the dramatic decline?

ckleeves

WKR
Thanks GL I can't believe my luck on drawing deer tags the last few years. I'm going to get serious about killing a big buck this year for AT LEAST the first 4 days or untill I hear a bugle! lol then it's look out 135" bucks!

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what caused the decline. Could have been the rough winter about 3 years ago. But I have seen alot worse and it never caused a decline like now. Maybe Black Tongue, who knows. I personally think alot of it could be due to over harvest.

I ask a game warden several years ago when they were going to cut back on the antelope tags in unit 4. He said he had no intentions of cutting back. Said as far as he was concerned, they could kill them all. This is no BS! Now I ask you, what kind of game management is that.

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Colorado and hunt Wyoming every year for Antelope instead of Colorado if that tells you anything. Colorado is agood hunt if you live here and like to use every tag available but I would not travel here from another state to hunt antelope.
Yea that's saying quite a bit.
Thanks Umpqua too. I don't really want to build points for over a decade just for a half decent unit.

ckleeves

WKR
I'm not sure what caused the decline. Could have been the rough winter about 3 years ago. But I have seen alot worse and it never caused a decline like now. Maybe Black Tongue, who knows. I personally think alot of it could be due to over harvest.

I ask a game warden several years ago when they were going to cut back on the antelope tags in unit 4. He said he had no intentions of cutting back. Said as far as he was concerned, they could kill them all. This is no BS! Now I ask you, what kind of game management is that.

I believe it. When they went from like 100 PLO 3-301 buck tags to whatever crazy amount they released, like 500, a few years back that put the hurt on the herds bad! The game warden told me they got a new biologist (I think, I can't remember the title) and they determined the herd needed reduced 75% on private land.