Colorado Archery Advice

bigharge

WKR
My son picked up an archery pronghorn tag in NW Colorado and I’m trying to put a decent game plan together for August. Have had success in other areas with a rifle but this will be our first time hunting here and with a bow.

Seems to be a good population of goats in the area with a lot of them being on private property. From what I have read the resident archery hunters will have most of the water holes staked out and the last thing I want to do is get in a territory battle with someone else. Are we better off trying to drive and cover as much ground as possible and then just try to get on as many stalks as possible to see if we can get lucky or are we better off attempting the setup a blind and wait them out.

Also have been entertaining the idea of trying to purchase a trespass fee to access some areas that are private and locked BLM that will be less crowded. Most of what I’ve found runs between 750-1000 bucks and not really wanting to spend that but would consider it if we have to.

And would you recommend early archery season or wait towards the end. Earlier would be better for his schedule but not a necessity

Appreciate any help, advice, or prior experience with any of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
Hunt when you can, maybe during the week would lessen the pressure a bit. The water holes are still social spots for the bucks, whether there's water or not. Antelope hunting is fun, try to do as much of it as you can.

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
Circling back a year later, had a great time chasing pronghorn in Colorado. Wasn’t easy, blew a lot of stalks but eventually it lined up. We both learned a lot about the country and animals. Was really encouraging as a Dad to see the hard work pay off for him!

129a475bfc02d12c65c17b0466dcc935.jpg

Wags

WKR
Circling back a year later, had a great time chasing pronghorn in Colorado. Wasn’t easy, blew a lot of stalks but eventually it lined up. We both learned a lot about the country and animals. Was really encouraging as a Dad to see the hard work pay off for him!

129a475bfc02d12c65c17b0466dcc935.jpg

Wish you could have gotten it done on my place but was damn happy to see him fill that tag.

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
Wish you could have gotten it done on my place but was damn happy to see him fill that tag.

Super blessed to have had your help and hospitality. Funny thing happened, not sure if I told you. We had setup a pop up on your place the first day over that water without any luck. It was so hot we decided to spend the next few days just chasing and stalking in other pieces of public. After he connected on this one we went back to take down the blind and I kid you not, while we were in the blind getting our stuff out this guy came walking by for a drink lol.

e7f8279c0d390c8dface146e01e472ee.jpg

Wags

WKR
Super blessed to have had your help and hospitality. Funny thing happened, not sure if I told you. We had setup a pop up on your place the first day over that water without any luck. It was so hot we decided to spend the next few days just chasing and stalking in other pieces of public. After he connected on this one we went back to take down the blind and I kid you not, while we were in the blind getting our stuff out this guy came walking by for a drink lol.

e7f8279c0d390c8dface146e01e472ee.jpg

That's awesome, never fails. Hopefully my son will cross paths with him this fall.....