colorado archery deer unit 54

MIhunt44

FNG
i drew colorado 54 deer, im going to be heading out at the end of august, planning to hunt the first 7-10 days of the season. hoping to talk to someone with some knowledge/experience in the area. im not looking for someone to give up spots or tell me where the deer are. mainly just have questions regarding access, road conditions, water etc.

any help/info is appreciated.

cheers,
miguel

I may not be able to help a ton but I have hunted elk in 54 a couple times and spend a lot of time in the Gunnison area during the summer fishing/hiking/etc.

I would expect the beginning of September to be very busy with other outdoor enthusiasts, much like other parts of the state. Doesn’t mean the deer will be pushed around, just something to keep in mind.

Wherever you decide to go I would research the specific roads/trails you will be using (you can send me a PM and if I have been on the road/trail I can give specifics). Obviously snow can happen in September, but I was on a jeep trail after a bad rain one time and the road was nearly impassable. One of the sketchiest situations I think I have been in lol.

I believe they added a doe tag last year in 54 so not sure how that may have affected numbers.

In September, the bigger bucks will be generally still be high and not down looking for does yet.

Holski

FNG
Lots of people lookin at the leaves change colors around Kebler. best days to hunt are mid week anything close to the weekends and it can be a zoo. Enjoy the hunt Gunnison is beautiful. Haven't made it up this summer, so not much help on the water/road info but feel free to shoot me a PM with any specifics.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
i drew colorado 54 deer, im going to be heading out at the end of august, planning to hunt the first 7-10 days of the season. hoping to talk to someone with some knowledge/experience in the area. im not looking for someone to give up spots or tell me where the deer are. mainly just have questions regarding access, road conditions, water etc.

any help/info is appreciated.

cheers,
miguel
Sent you a PM