Colorado Archery Elk Altitudes

Beast92

FNG
Hello, I have been researching for about a year now and plan to hunt Colorado otc next year with 2-3 buddies. My question is in September what elevations are you most likely to find elk? Obviously higher elevations but Does it depend on the unit, weather,etc? Thanks

OP
B

Beast92

FNG
Thanks for the info! it seems that the main unit I want to try it’s anywhere from 7500-9800 feet for the range. Im new to elk hunting so trying to gain all the knowledge I can.

Salty Ham

FNG
The Colorado Hunting Atlas is a great tool, to be sure, but also know that there are some elk at just about every elevation in this state that has grass, water, and seclusion. These elk can face less hunting pressure than their high country counter parts, and pressured animals in Colorado seem to be the new normal. A lot of the lower altitude elk reside on private property but some can be found on BLM and other parcels that allow hunting. Which unit are you planning to hunt?

Remember that even in the high country during archery season meat can spoil quickly if not properly cared for. This is especially true if you hunt at lower elevation. Keep this in mind if you get one on the ground. Good luck!

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Salty hit it on the head, dont get stuck on a certain elevation, they can be anywhere. We had elk bugling on our antelope hunt at 5500 ft in Sept.

Musky54

FNG
I think that water and temperature have a lot to do with it also don’t be afraid to bounce around

Marble

WKR
Order of where elk will be:

Safety (lack of pressure)
Food source
Water source
Bedding area (in between all of these)

Elevation plays little into it. It's more about how far animals have to go to get away from people. That may be in a hole somewhere or at the upper portion of the ridge.

Elevation comes into play so much because in general, the higher you go the more difficult it is to get there and stay there. Therefore with less people there, there will be more elk.