Colorado Archery Elk Clothing

Looking for some critiques and help filling holes in my clothing system for late September archery. I have clothes that can fill any of these gaps, but I’m really putting emphasis on breathability as I get hot when walking. For example, I will walk to the whitetail stand in MO in 30 degree weather wearing my base layer and maybe a light midweight top with my overall side zips completely unzipped to the waste for airflow.

Rainwear:
Frogg Toggs in coyote brown
-This is what I carry for lightweight backpacking because the whole set weighs less than a pound. I know it’s not durable enough for brush busting. Is rain a serious enough concern for late archery to justify spending money to upgrade? Do you carry rain paints too?

Insulation:
Eddie Bauer Microtherm 2.0 (850 down) in coyote brown
M65 Pant liners
-I may snag a Kelvin Hoody or Lost Parka as I think both of those will be warmer for glassing, but they also weigh about 7 ounces more than the EB. I run hot when walking so don’t plan on wearing it much unless at camp, resting, or glassing.

Mid layer
Sitka Heavyweight Zip T
Sitka Midweight Zip T
-I have a variety of Nike and Under Armour stuff as well (in black) that are a bit warmer but probably don’t breathe as well. I am thinking I should have an option that is a thicker, more breathable fleece for the colder windy days or I could get a thicker merino to wear over a base layer. The Sitka stuff may also be worn as base layers.

Base Layer
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Smartwool Merino bottoms
-This is the department I would definitely like to add one more option for top and bottom. For whatever reason, I cannot wear merino tops. They itch too bad so I’m limited on options. Merino bottoms don’t bother me. (Yes, I’ve tried washing in lanolin). Considering some Peleton items but they are pricey.

Pants
P’rana Zion
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro

Socks
Smartwool

Boots
Meindl comfort hiker

If it is not obvious, I am not packing all this at once. These are just options to assemble a kit at the truck. If I was going out for a day or three and expecting nice weather with cold nights, for example, I’d probably go:

Merino socks
Zion pants; I may or may not bring the merino bottoms or M65 liners depending on the low temp and wind
Core lightweight hoody or midweight zip as base too layer
EB Puffy
Rain jacket and frogg togg pants for wind/rain.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like you have a pretty good system set up. You will likely not wear that much clothing unless there is a cold spell. Base layers are very much personal preference but I wore a lightweight base bottom and pants and a merino lightweight top and wore a mid weight hoody for a short while during the hike in. I had a puffy and vest I used sparingly and used my rain jacket to block the wind during a nap😁. I would just focus on the layers you have and add or subtract as necessary. Good luck and you will have a blast

I would say no to the frog toggs and look for something a bit more durable. However, if you are tight on budget than don’t let that stop you. Camofire and field supply frequently have good deals. Sierra Trading Post can have good stuff as well.
The Under Armour layers are personal but not can’t wear them elk hunting. They absolutely stink after about 4 hours of hunting.

OP
G
Do I need a soft shell for late September?

I’m not sure I really need it for warmth, but I kind of want something that can bust through brush better than the Sitka zip-t’s and lightweight hoody. What’s out there that isn’t overly warm but very durable, ideally with mapped insulation that is light in the back.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How much brush are you busting? I've hunted CO for almost 40 years now and I haven't gone near the Oak Brush in decades. I use lightweight merino base top and bottoms under my Microtex Lite camo (really thin stuff) and sometimes wear a microfleece mock-T between the tops. That's 90% of my archery season. I might bring a rain jacket, and sometimes I wear a fleece jacket. That's been it for September.

OP
G
How much brush are you busting? I've hunted CO for almost 40 years now and I haven't gone near the Oak Brush in decades. I use lightweight merino base top and bottoms under my Microtex Lite camo (really thin stuff) and sometimes wear a microfleece mock-T between the tops. That's 90% of my archery season. I might bring a rain jacket, and sometimes I wear a fleece jacket. That's been it for September.

No idea how much it will be needed having never been. Seems like a lot of people swear that they are essential.

I’m not shy about going off trail through thick stuff. I hunt public land in Missouri and have a honey hole that requires bushwhacking through thorn bushes that keep everyone else out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most of my elk hunting is in the timber......not so much brush so to speak. It can get thick though, just a different type of thick. I've never really had any issues with my clothes in it.
100_2595.JPGtimber.jpg

I don’t use a soft shell at all. I put my rain coat on if windy or wet. Puffy under if cold. I go back to the frog toggs not being a great choice if that is the way you choose to go. However, if you skip the soft shell, you have a few extra dollars to use elsewhere.

OP
G
Seems like a pretty good setup overall, I'd say that silk sock liners are worth their weight in gold to prevent blisters. I actually don't carry raingear backpacking for elk 90%+ of the time (shows pass quickly, get under a tree or pull your tent tarp).

If you take that approach you'd probably need a slightly warmer puffy/outer since you need a rainjacket with the down. I have sitka kelvin light, it's nice but side panels are pretty breathable so it's not super warm for sitting still or in wind. First Light uncompahgre is probably best, good static warmth with full length zip. Lost parka is nice but doesn't have a full length zip which drives me nuts.

I can't really do baselayers since I'm like you and sweat a lot when moving. KUIU side zip baselayers are my suggestion if you go that route, actually easy to take on/off without having to remove your boots.

Forgot to mention sock liners. I just recently bought some that I’m going to test backpacking this weekend.

FYI. Kifaru does now sell full zip LPPs

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fair enough. I'm wearing the sitka apex pants and synthetic upper layers, in my experience both of those soak up and pull moisture off the skin very well already.

Whatever works for you. For me, without the merino base layers the sweat seems to just stay on my skin with the plastic shirts and pants just rubbing it around. Much more comfortable with the merino.

OP
G
I’m going to give Merino wool shirts one last try. Got some gently used First Lite stuff online that is coming this week. This is probably the fifth or sixth brand I’ve tried including polyester hybrids. If it itches me, I’m done forever.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only merino that's ever come close to itching me is a Red Ram shirt (Icebreaker's old off-brand). But after several washings it's not bad at all now. I have some merino shirts from Minus 33 and Icebreaker that are softer than a new cotton t-shirt.......and thinner too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yeah 2x to that, my wife has some icebreaker base layers that are incredible. Not cheap, but fantastic quality

They're cheap when you find them cheap. I've also been testing out the 100% merino long sleeve shirts that Costco was selling recently......Karbon brand. The last price I saw them at was $9.97/shirt after starting out at $19.99. After several weeks of wearing and washing them, they're as good as anything else I've tried. And if I was blindfolded, I don't think I could tell a difference between these and my other shirts. They're very close to my others in feel and thickness. Fantastic bargain.

OP
G
I’ve tested Ice Breaker, SmartWool, Kathmandu, Rab, Eddie Bauer, and at least one other brand I’m forgetting.

I even washed the Eddie Bauer with a lanolin treatment.

rewild

FNG
I have the same issue. What folks don't understand is that it's not how soft the wool is or isn't that makes it itchy, it's that some folks like me, and apparently you, are allergic to lanolin. I can wear Merino long-johns, socks and even some gloves without problems, but if I wear a wool top, my wrists and neck look like I rubbed them down with Poison Ivy. I've tried all different brands too and determined I just can't wear wool shirts.

Frogg Toggs probably would be fine but I would bet sage will shred them. I use my rain gear about one day per season, but it's important that it works on that day. The last week of September, the difference between rain and snow is only a couple of degrees and it does suck ass to get cold and wet. Even in mid-September, the temperature realIy drops when a storm rolls in. I only bring pants if I'm expecting moisture or it rained the previous night/day though.

Peloton zip-off bottoms are hard to beat.

The rest of your stuff sounds fine to me.

OP
G
I have the same issue. What folks don't understand is that it's not how soft the wool is or isn't that makes it itchy, it's that some folks like me, and apparently you, are allergic to lanolin. I can wear Merino long-johns, socks and even some gloves without problems, but if I wear a wool top, my wrists and neck look like I rubbed them down with Poison Ivy. I've tried all different brands too and determined I just can't wear wool shirts.

While my reaction is not as bad as you described, everything else is the same. I wear merino wool socks almost everyday and SmartWool base bottoms almost every whitetail hunting trip....oh well

Maverick1

WKR
Some good comments so far, good to see others helping you out.

As far as rain gear, it can be somewhat of a crap-shoot. A couple of years I have not even pulled it out of the backpack. One year (2013) I wore it almost every day for about 11 days straight. Kind of like a box of chocolates....for the most part, though, I DO use my rain jacket every year. It comes out when it's raining, during the afternoon light sprinkles, or as a windbreaker layer while sitting mid-day over a water hole. Having at least a good/decent rain gear set is pretty important in my experience. As for the list you have above, the Frogg Toggs, from my one ownership experience, were not very durable. They would be fine for sitting around camp or while stationary mid-day, but if it's raining out and you are going hunting, they likely won't hold up for very long.

Smartwool socks have been very durable and last several days for me. I've had good luck with them.

I can't speak to some of the other items on your list as I don't own them or haven't tried them out. It is unfortunate that you are not compatible with merino. It has been great for me in the mountains. (FWIW: I have had good experiences with one brand and not so good experiences with another brand when it comes to the merino tops and comfort/itching. Perhaps you should try another brand?).

As far as layers, I am a bit unusual in that I can hunt in comfort - as long as I am moving - with the following layers on in the morning, down to about 35 degree:
- Bottoms: merino baselayer, BDU-style stretch pants
- Tops: Long-sleeve merino shirt, short-sleeve merino shirt
- Head: Fleece hat, baseball-style hat

Normally, I am hiking uphill in the morning (against the thermals, with the wind in my face) or side-hilling, so I'm generating enough body heat to keep warm. When the sun pops up and the thermals switch, I usually take off the merino base layers and fleece hat. When I stop around mid-day, those layers typically go back on. I will occasionally have a fleece pullover with me in my backpack, but that's about it. I will use this same approach/amount of clothes for the first week or two of the season.

That's just me. So, I really can't comment on your layers, other than to say it is a lot more than I backpack in with me. I was out with a couple of other hunters my first few seasons elk hunting and noticed that they wore a LOT more clothes than I typically do: insulating layers, vests, gloves, sweatshirts, etc.

satchamo

WKR
Looking for some critiques and help filling holes in my clothing system for late September archery. I have clothes that can fill any of these gaps, but I’m really putting emphasis on breathability as I get hot when walking. For example, I will walk to the whitetail stand in MO in 30 degree weather wearing my base layer and maybe a light midweight top with my overall side zips completely unzipped to the waste for airflow.

Rainwear:
Frogg Toggs in coyote brown
-This is what I carry for lightweight backpacking because the whole set weighs less than a pound. I know it’s not durable enough for brush busting. Is rain a serious enough concern for late archery to justify spending money to upgrade? Do you carry rain paints too?

Insulation:
Eddie Bauer Microtherm 2.0 (850 down) in coyote brown
M65 Pant liners
-I may snag a Kelvin Hoody or Lost Parka as I think both of those will be warmer for glassing, but they also weigh about 7 ounces more than the EB. I run hot when walking so don’t plan on wearing it much unless at camp, resting, or glassing.

Mid layer
Sitka Heavyweight Zip T
Sitka Midweight Zip T
-I have a variety of Nike and Under Armour stuff as well (in black) that are a bit warmer but probably don’t breathe as well. I am thinking I should have an option that is a thicker, more breathable fleece for the colder windy days or I could get a thicker merino to wear over a base layer. The Sitka stuff may also be worn as base layers.

Base Layer
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Smartwool Merino bottoms
-This is the department I would definitely like to add one more option for top and bottom. For whatever reason, I cannot wear merino tops. They itch too bad so I’m limited on options. Merino bottoms don’t bother me. (Yes, I’ve tried washing in lanolin). Considering some Peleton items but they are pricey.

Pants
P’rana Zion
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro

Socks
Smartwool

Boots
Meindl comfort hiker

If it is not obvious, I am not packing all this at once. These are just options to assemble a kit at the truck. If I was going out for a day or three and expecting nice weather with cold nights, for example, I’d probably go:

Merino socks
Zion pants; I may or may not bring the merino bottoms or M65 liners depending on the low temp and wind
Core lightweight hoody or midweight zip as base too layer
EB Puffy
Rain jacket and frogg togg pants for wind/rain.

This is pretty solid.

Rain gear is a crap shoot. Definitely want it at the truck in case but if you’re back pack hunting I’d probably just take the jacket and hope for the best haha.

The only other thing I’d consider at least having at the truck is gaiters. Some years and areas they can be a life saver, other years I never put them on.