Colorado archery elk Unit 4,5,441 or Unit 20 advice?

Wolfmann

FNG
Hi guys I'm torn between units 4,5,441 and unit 20. I've been doing alot of research and have been in both areas but never bow hunting. scouting will most likely be limited to google earth since I live so far away. What I'm looking for is a unit that isn't super difficult to locate elk in, and limited hunting pressure. I know there are a ton of elk in 5 but I'm concerned about the number of hunters. Unit 20 has a great bull to cow ratio and very limited tags but I'm concerned as to how hard it may be to locate elk outside of the park. If anyone has hunted either of these units and has any insight please let me know. thanks

Jethro

WKR
One was to ensure your concerns about overcrowding are true...post a unit number online while in the same sentence saying there are a ton of elk there.
Exactly what I thought when I read the op. If what you type includes a unit #, always think twice before pushing "post reply".

fishslap

WKR
I have a folder where I save screenshots of this stuff to give me ideas for future hunts. I got a couple good ones this year on exact locations for the unit being discussed here. The guy deleted it later after others got onto him for it (different site).

OP
Wolfmann

Wolfmann

FNG
Since they are all 3 point draw units I’d say people are well aware of the elk being there. My questions were regarding if you could find elk without having a million people around and if the elk left the park. I’d be cool with more people putting in for these units as it may drop the points on the unit I really want to hunt. Thanks for the help guys.

fmyth

WKR
Hi guys I'm torn between units 4,5,441 and unit 20. I've been doing alot of research and have been in both areas but never bow hunting. scouting will most likely be limited to google earth since I live so far away. What I'm looking for is a unit that isn't super difficult to locate elk in, and limited hunting pressure. I know there are a ton of elk in 5 but I'm concerned about the number of hunters. Unit 20 has a great bull to cow ratio and very limited tags but I'm concerned as to how hard it may be to locate elk outside of the park. If anyone has hunted either of these units and has any insight please let me know. thanks
I've hunted 4/5 archery elk twice. It was extremely crowded the last time I hunted there 3 seasons ago and I did not see 1 elk in over 14 days of hunting and 100 plus miles of hiking. My brother and brother in law hunted the same unit 2nd rifle 2 years ago and didn't see an elk. I won't be going back.

I've hunted 4/5 a few times too - rifle and archery and it is definitely not worth 3 points. Most of the elk stay on private land which is half of 5 and theres a ton of sheep. It's just a crowded as 14 or 161. There is a lot more units I could think of putting in for with 3 points.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I wasnt sure what units to look at, but now 5 and 20 are at the top of the list. Thanks Homey!