Colorado Archery in Raggeds Wilderness

My wife and I drew archery tags for unit 521. We plan on backpack hunting the Raggeds Wilderness area and will have a bunch of time to spend in the backcountry for the hunt. We will also be taking multiple overnight scouting trips throughout the summer. Does anyone have any info or experience in 521? I am not looking for anyone to revel honey holes but any advice you can give I would appreciate. In the next couple of weeks I will be drawing up our plan of attack for scouting and will be re-pouring over topos and satellite images. Thanks for the help!

chindits

WKR
I don't know about hunting deer in there. You might check with Terry Commader, I think she runs drop camps and a guided outfitter operation in that whole upper north fork area. I ran into one of her guides last year when I was looking for that deceased hiker. I wasn't all that impressed with him, but you know how first impressions are. If you want info on the drainage that they are working so you can avoid crossing wires give me a p.m. I think that camp was all about elk. It always seemed like weird country to me. Hard terrain with your usual north facing dark timber, but that south facing brush and aspen understory can be a PITA that I never learned to appreciate much.

OP
Thanks for the info chindits. Please look for a PM. We will be taking a couple of scouting trips up there this summer, does anyone know when the snow is typically melted? I am looking at second weekend of July? I know Crested Butte had a tough year for snow, but I last checked in early April and figure they probably got some of the spring moisture we are all enjoying.

Never hunted 521 but ive hunted the 43 part of the raggeds 3 times on the border of 521. Not a ton of bucks but enough to keep it interesting with a chance of finding a solid buck.

I elk hunted the Raggeds two years ago. I saw one little dink mule deer buck. I personally would not have shot him. I hunted for ten days. Saw tons of does but that's it. Send me a pm and I could tell you some places to go.

OP
Never hunted 521 but ive hunted the 43 part of the raggeds 3 times on the border of 521. Not a ton of bucks but enough to keep it interesting with a chance of finding a solid buck.

Thanks for the info, that is all I am looking for is the adventure with the potential to find some solid deer.

OP
I elk hunted the Raggeds two years ago. I saw one little dink mule deer buck. I personally would not have shot him. I hunted for ten days. Saw tons of does but that's it. Send me a pm and I could tell you some places to go.

Please check your PM. Thank you!