Colorado Archery Pressure

Looking for opinions on when to hunt the Colorado Archery Season. This will be my first elk hunt and my buddys 2nd. We are going back to an OTC unit he hunted in the past and had opportunities. I'm wondering if you better to go early before muzzleloader season. Go during muzzleloader season to be closer to peak rut. Or with a 10-14 day hunt find a happy medium?

bz_711

WKR
Just from my experience...MZ season has made no difference at all when I've hunted...especially OTC. I've been to CO 10 straight seasons all of which have either touched one of the MZ weekends or been the same week...I've maybe heard 1 or 2 shots that might have been a MZ...never have seen anyone in orange more than couple hundred yards from road.

I've shot bulls from the 10th thru 24th and bugle action the same regardless. I'd base it more on which part of CO you are going and elevation and match that to average weather/temps/rain for that area.

You can PM if want to share more details...Good Luck!

I like hunting elk with a bow when rifles aren't going off, muzz dudes go in just as deep as archers now and Ive personally witnessed elk moving out of neighboring basins at the sound of muzzleloaders blasting off. The first week is unpressured but potentially silent elk, the last week is better from a rut perspective with potentially more pressure. Hearing elk is half the fun anyway!

Hunt style is a big factor, spot n spook is better early and eyes rolled back bugling is better later. You like to call? Interact with animals? Or comfortable patterning animals like whitetails. I am a whitetail hunter who has found a niche in the sneak n peak, read the movement type of hunting. Use you strengths to make the decision

coelk81

FNG
It is hit or miss every year as too when everybody starts to hear bugles. I for one hunt to hunt, bugles are nice but I do not depend on them to find and hunt elk. Hell even when they are bugling right in your face there is no guarantee you will get a shot. I have found elk all weeks of September, and including muzzleloader which my daughter connected on last year. Unfortunately there is no "magical" week in sept to hunt elk. You pick when to go and go. Just be prepared to locate and move accordingly.

Like others have said it can be somewhat of a crap shoot with timing. This year was a good example with the dry summer leading in and then a big snow storm in parts of the state 2nd week. I found elk this year 20 minutes into opening morning and harvested during the last week. Got them talking throughout. I personally don’t like hunting during muzzleloader but I’ve done it and didn’t notice a pressure difference. If you know your unit already look up the stats on CPW to check number of muzzleloader tags. Some of the popular OTC units can swing 100+ hunters year to year anyway so 80 muzzles probably not much of an impact. Maybe more impact if you are in a less popular otc unit.

nvkevin

FNG
Jumping in on this thread because I am thinking of heading to CO this year as well. I out in for WY, but my buddy I put in with only has 1 point to add to my 4, so will most likely be headed to CO.

Thanks for the info posted up so far!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Check the # of mzl tags for your unit, that will tell the tale. 50 tags is a big diff vs 500. Just remember, whatever you decide, a gagillion other ppl are thinking the same thing.

DANJR

FNG
Pressure is everywhere in CO, and hard to predict. 2020 I hunted the same area at the same time as 2019. Had 4 vehicles at the trailhead 2019, 25 vehicles in 2020. Fires, etc. all are somewhat unpredictable so you just have to be flexible and adaptable. Personally, I've had more encounters hunting opening week, especially if you are able to pattern high use trails or wallows/watering holes. Get far away from the access points and let the rest of hunters push them towards you as the season goes on. A lot of the rut in units I've hunted thus far has switched more and more to occurring at night talking with a lot of locals, etc. Had a campground host say he hadn't been able to sleep the past week because of bulls bugling around, but they're silent and invisible all day. Pressure pushes animals out, yes. It also causes them to hide and just be active at night. Frustrating when sign is telling you they're there, but they won't play ball during daylight hours.