Colorado Archery Season

GrayGhost

FNG
Hey guys out of the roughly four weeks of the archery season what timeframe to you feel is the best to plan your hunt in the high country? I always figured the early bird gets the best chance at the biggest worms! I always go on the opening week! What say you? Anybody feel any different?

I like the plains archery season personally. Hunting mulies in the rut is a blast. Like around November 20th. And you can find some real big bucks that come out that you never see.

Elk in september. Deer in october/ November

Last edited:

pronghorn

FNG
I like velvet racks so the early part of the season is my preference. They are also less skittish early on.

vcb

WKR
I like the plains archery season personally. Hunting mulies in the rut is a blast.
How sick is it to belly crawl to a bedded buck!! I love the long deer season too

If I am planning a high country mule deer hunt then I am out there the first 10-14 days. The earlier the better for those big 'ol boys. I agree with Justin that hunting a BIG MULE DEER in the rut is a blast ... however ... I won't hunt Colorado eastern plains when I can hit the high country and score big. I go to Kansas for the upland opener and stay a week or 10 days to hunt rutting mulies. Yes you read that right!!! I hunt MULE DEER in Kansas NOT whitetails!!

a3dhunter

WKR
I have found the first two weeks to be the best.
Plenty of big bucks there in the Blues, saw some great deer hunting there a couple years ago in August but the truly amazing thing was all the huge elk that were everywhere!

I need to partake in a CO high country hunt soon!

No room for you in Colorado Jared, you have to stay up north! ;)
All the big bucks have already been shot in Colorado anyway.....

Love the first week, but you can still find big bucks above timberline late in September as well.

I'm going to hunt both mule deer and elk the first 2-3 weekends of season. Last couple I will move lower or possibly switch areas in search of a bull.

Good luck to you all
Tyler

Yessir, I'm doing my first couple years of school in La Junta. Originally from the Rye area though. Springs is right up the road ;)