Colorado archery

I have a rare oppritunity coming up and want to take full advantage of it. One of my hunting buddies is going to do an OTC elk hunt this year. We have been planning on doing an archery deer hunt in 2015. So now we are trying to pick a quality HC deer unit that has OTC elk tags so that he can scout while elk hunting this year. this will give us some first hand knowledge of the land come 2015. Plus we'll have to option to buy the OTC elk tag when we return in 2015. We're looking at the sanjuan mountain range in sw co. But not stuck on it. I've never hunted co so any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm me, Thanks Dan.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dan,
you've got tons of choices and I wouldn't get to hung up on the details, except making sure the unit does have rugged, remote high country that is deer country, too. His scouting this fall will really help narrow it down and is the most valuable tool you have. San Juans would fit the ticket but so would much of the high country in west central Colorado, too.
If you want to narrow it down to the deer units with the most demand, then just look at the odds for the archery, muzz, and early rifle (high country) seasons. Doesn't mean they are the only place, but shows where hunters think the better deer hunting is. You could get two points before 2015. Best of luck

OP
flatlander51
Thanks for the reply Robby. Ill be doing just what you said plus contacting the biologists in a few areas. I think this last minute trip my buddy planned is gonna make a world of difference for us in 2015. Thanks again, Dan