Colorado Backcountry crowds

Titan_Bow

WKR
I went up for the first week, and now I’ve got to travel for work . Is it just me, but have you guys that have been out so far seen more people way back in the backcountry than ever before? The spot I’ve been hunting is about 5 miles from the truck by trail, but I break off and hit a couple basins that do not have any trails into them. This is in a designated Wilderness, at altitudes around 11k. My boy and I had put out 2 trail cams earlier in the summer. I got 2 different groups of hunters on 2 different trail cams! I did have an unsuccessful stalk on opening day, was just about to draw my bow on a little bull when a cow spotted me and spooked. Had one other encounter that I was not able to capitalize on. Going to be heading up 3rd week of Sept.

Have we shot ourselves in the foot with all the podcasts, forums, YouTube vids, Instagram hunters, etc.? I feel like backcountry hunting was kind of a secret just 5 years ago or so, and now the jig is up! LOL. In all seriousness, it is good to see young people on the mountain, and participating in this lifestyle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
The bad news, times have changed, it doesn’t matter what your doing in the outdoors these days , it has become crowded everywhere in the lower 48. I think of the idiots wanting to sell public land and laugh,,,we should be buying up lands for the public !!

I went up for the first week, and now I’ve got to travel for work . Is it just me, but have you guys that have been out so far seen more people way back in the backcountry than ever before? The spot I’ve been hunting is about 5 miles from the truck by trail, but I break off and hit a couple basins that do not have any trails into them. This is in a designated Wilderness, at altitudes around 11k. My boy and I had put out 2 trail cams earlier in the summer. I got 2 different groups of hunters on 2 different trail cams! I did have an unsuccessful stalk on opening day, was just about to draw my bow on a little bull when a cow spotted me and spooked. Had one other encounter that I was not able to capitalize on. Going to be heading up 3rd week of Sept.

Have we shot ourselves in the foot with all the podcasts, forums, YouTube vids, Instagram hunters, etc.? I feel like backcountry hunting was kind of a secret just 5 years ago or so, and now the jig is up! LOL. In all seriousness, it is good to see young people on the mountain, and participating in this lifestyle!

I gotta agree. Born N Raised. Randy Newburg, Cory Jacobson, etc.... flip my switch. I love them all. But, it has indeed inspired a good bit more people to get involved. Throw in the competition for solitude and you get this reaction. I find myself dreaming of finding a wilderness area, hiking in 4-5 miles, throwing up camp and spending 6-7 days hunting. But, I hunt to kill. And I'm pretty certain that isn't the best way to consistently kill elk with all the added people now doing it.

The Colorado episodes that BRO did a couple years ago was the most awesome documentary of what everyone dreams elk hunting is. They killed a bunch of really big bulls. Huge bulls. They had a lot of great footage f near kills. I imagine that one variable did more for making Colorado wilderness more crowded then all other factors involved.

rayporter

WKR
it will cycle. I have watched the cycles for years.

3 years ago there was 5 camps with in sight of each other in a small meadow a mile from the truck. last year I was the only camp there.

this cycle may last a little longer

3forks

WKR
I think a lot of guys like the idea of being a backcountry hunter and have fun buying the gear. But, I bet a large percentage of "new" backcountry hunters end up deciding that it's a lot of hard work.

The ability for an average guy to get in, effectively hunt, and get an animal out is also going to be limiting factor. I bet the magic number of trail miles is somewhere between 5 and 10 (depending on the amount of vertical). Under 5 miles and you'll see more people. More than 5, maybe some hunters will only try that once.

Who knows, though? With all the supplement companies and train to hunt programs marketing to hunters - maybe everyone who wants to can become a superhuman elite mountain warrior/athlete/hunter.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I think all of those videos of screaming bulls has made everyone a bowhunter.

What they don't realize is the single digit success rates on OTC ground....many will get discouraged....hopefully anyway.
________

On a separate note, it does make the newbie bowhunter posts on the forums funny eh?

They start by saying, "We are going to backpack in a ways to get away from the crowds." Yeah right.....

gbflyer

WKR
It isn’t new. I remember as a kid growing up on the W. Slope hiking my ass off to a secret hunting or fishing spot only to find 2-3 other groups there too. With crowds in the wilderness,opportunities open more near the road.

There ain’t nothing sacred. Probably never was.

One thing I’ve noticed is the wilderness areas seem to attract people disproportionately. Most likely due to the roadless aspect. Unfortunately they’re an easy to find beacon for “backcountry.” I think finding a place you can get that deep in non-designated space will yield you less company.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
One think I’ve noticed is the wilderness areas seem to attract people disproportionately. Most likely due to the roadless aspect. Unfortunately they’re an easy to find beacon for “backcountry.” I think finding a place you can get that deep in non-designated space will yield you less company.

Very true. Just like the original post, a lot of these stories start off with, "we parked at the trail head and went in x miles on the trail...." It makes a lot of sense that people end up around each other. Folks might have a whole lot more solitude and wilderness a mile from the road getting there without a trail.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Very true. Just like the original post, a lot of these stories start off with, "we parked at the trail head and went in x miles on the trail...." It makes a lot of sense that people end up around each other. Folks might have a whole lot more solitude and wilderness a mile from the road getting there without a trail.

That’s true a lot of times, yes. The spot I had been hunting the last several years could be accessed by a 2.5 mile hike through steep deadfall, or a 5.5 mile hike following an established hiking trail for 3-4 miles. Trust me, I would rather walk the 5 or 6 miles in than bushwhack straight up the mountain in that deadfall!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well they aren't going to pay it back or stop spending any time soon so public lands should gets it's hand in the cookie jar while the lid is off. They waste money on things less tangible that have no value afterwards.
With the country 20+ trillions of dollars in debt already.........the last thing they need to be doing is "buying" more land to make it public.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I camped 5 miles back last year during first rifle and didn't see a person for 6 days.

I'm never going to complain about more hunters anywhere. We need all the hunters we can get these days. I'm a PA whitetail hunter so I know how frustrating it can be.

sndmn11

WKR
That’s true a lot of times, yes. The spot I had been hunting the last several years could be accessed by a 2.5 mile hike through steep deadfall, or a 5.5 mile hike following an established hiking trail for 3-4 miles. Trust me, I would rather walk the 5 or 6 miles in than bushwhack straight up the mountain in that deadfall!!

That's my point, it is easier to access by trail. Think about the common "where to" questions on here and the progression that takes place, especially if you are assuming folks are scouting in the suggested manners of electronically first. State->Unit->Access->Habitat. If people see on google earth or onx etc that this nice trail gets them within a mile or two of this nice basin, then that seems like the most logical result. Just like the I25 corridor is seeing a housing boom because of ease of access, nice looking spots on these programs that are accessed just off trail heads are going to get busier than in year's past.

So what if you rework that progression and place Habitat before Access? You might find some nice looking spots a much shorter distance from the road that are NOT earmarked by trail heads, obvious parking spots, or named points on the map. You might even find the best practice is to park at an established trail head or parking spot and hike the road a mile or so away from the trail and then cut into the trees into a trail free area. You might find the solitude and wilderness you intended because there is no directed way for others to get there. It can be a lot of fun watching folks cruise on by on their way getting deep into the back country with everyone else.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

3 years ago there was 5 camps with in sight of each other in a small meadow a mile from the truck. last year I was the only camp there.

100% agree.

I also agree with sndmn11.Went to the Kiabab and parked just off the main road.Far enough not to be covered in dust.Hunted straight back,and never saw another person for a week.One of my best hunts ever.Everyone else was parked way back on the interior forest roads.:cool:

Fatcamp

WKR

Add in the fact that we have gone a long stretch without a bad Fall and the potential for people dropping out is even greater. Bluebird weather in the Fall for years now and once people have to leave camps and vehicles until spring they will realize how bad things can get, and decide this isn't really that much fun.