Colorado Backcountry Fishing Trip

Yates

FNG
Planning to take some time off in August to head out west and out of this Alabama heat and humidity to Colorado and curious if you guys could provide some suggestions. Not looking for trophy fish and don't care if they're brookies, rainbow, brown, doesn't matter, just something to eat for dinner, small streams preferable over lakes. Would like leave a vehicle at a trailhead and hike in and camp for 4-5 days just to get away, re-charge and enjoy the mountains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11boo

WKR
I always liked the piedra river in SW CO. Google up the piedra hot springs, that area. I might have been soaking in them naked as a jay bird and pulling fish from the river at the same time.

squirrel

WKR
High lakes will generally be better, but it is a very different experience tween the two. Tons of options if you put a few miles between the t/h and yourself. Some spots have both lakes and connecting streams, best of both rolled into one trip! You might want to look at Eagles Nest and Flat tops wilderness's if in the NC mtns. Combination of beauty and fish is hard to beat. Of course those who rent my woolie guys generally get and "x"
or two put on their maps... but finding good fish isnt hard, look for the blue lines on the maps.DSC04569.JPGIMG_4508.JPGIMG_0095.JPGDSC04569.JPG

oo two IMG_4508.JPGIMG_0095.JPG

jdmaxwell

WKR
South Fork and Pagosa Springs in SW Colorado have great streams to fish along RT 160 between the two. Lots access and camping spots

I'm going to piggy back onto this thread. Planning a trip up to Pagosa Springs in mid September with the in-laws. Wife is just getting into fly fishing and I want to keep her hooked. Any suggestions for good streams in the area? Looking for high oppurtunity areas over trophy areas.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I'm going to piggy back onto this thread. Planning a trip up to Pagosa Springs in mid September with the in-laws. Wife is just getting into fly fishing and I want to keep her hooked. Any suggestions for good streams in the area? Looking for high oppurtunity areas over trophy areas.

PM me

brsnow

WKR
Most of the places listed will likely have high level fire bans in place. Typically the northern part of the state you have a better chance to cook fish or have a fire.

Southwest Colorado is experiencing a significant drought this year and the streams are already really low. I heard a regional river report on the radio yesterday and they said the Animas, Piedra, and San Juan (to name just a few) were all way below normal. The report was saying the San Juan through Pagosa Springs is normally between 400 and 500 cfs this time of year and right now it is only 35 cfs. It might be a good year to check out the lakes and reservoirs in the Southwest.

I have a nice little camping area not to far out of Denver in Idaho Springs/Mt Evens area. It’s about 1.5 miles in next to a small creek that always has brookies in it

Now if anyone wants to help me scratch one off the bucket list..........looking for a golden trout in Colorado. C&R but just really want a pic with one!! I don’t mind working for it and want to make a trip out of it

Now if anyone wants to help me scratch one off the bucket list..........looking for a golden trout in Colorado. C&R but just really want a pic with one!! I don’t mind working for it and want to make a trip out of it
This request is on par with asking for someone's Elk hunting grounds. Check out the Colorado Fishing Atlas and the State's stocking reports.

Scott74

FNG
Southwest Colorado is experiencing a significant drought this year and the streams are already really low. I heard a regional river report on the radio yesterday and they said the Animas, Piedra, and San Juan (to name just a few) were all way below normal. The report was saying the San Juan through Pagosa Springs is normally between 400 and 500 cfs this time of year and right now it is only 35 cfs. It might be a good year to check out the lakes and reservoirs in the Southwest.
I was worried about this...heading out ek hunting and wanted to fish. Thanks for info