Colorado backcountry turkeys

I just moved from GA to Longmont, Colorado and I've been reading up on the turkey scene here. It sounds like there's a lot of pressure most places in the state along the front range.

Is there such a thing as backcountry turkey hunting here and if so where would you suggest? I backpack hunt a lot and would prefer something 3 to 5 miles out where there won't be too many other people if such an area exists. I'm just wondering mainly if I'll find birds wherever that may be. I'm seeing a lot regarding southwest Colorado.

Also in an effort to not blow out an area, pm me if possible. I have an otc tag for this spring until I meet the residency reqs. I'm not opposed to joining along with anyone here either. Thanks in advance for any info!

MHB

FNG
I would agree that the front range is going to be crowded in most placed. The challenge with a back country hunt is depending on where you go there most likely wont be any turkeys due to snow. These bird will follow the snow line. A number of areas that I have seen turkey in the summer and fall are not accessible until June or later.

It may be possible to do a back country hunt I just haven't been that motivated to find a turkey.

Matt

OP
Ndheidmann
I would agree that the front range is going to be crowded in most placed. The challenge with a back country hunt is depending on where you go there most likely wont be any turkeys due to snow. These bird will follow the snow line. A number of areas that I have seen turkey in the summer and fall are not accessible until June or later.

It may be possible to do a back country hunt I just haven't been that motivated to find a turkey.

Matt
I've gotten a few replies here with some great insight for finding them nearby. The snowline is a new concept being from Atlanta but makes sense! I'm not that mad at them either but I figured if I can get out into the mountains away from people for turkeys and later elk I don't mind hiking however far that may be. Thanks for your insight.

I just moved from GA to Longmont, Colorado and I've been reading up on the turkey scene here. It sounds like there's a lot of pressure most places in the state along the front range.

Is there such a thing as backcountry turkey hunting here and if so where would you suggest? I backpack hunt a lot and would prefer something 3 to 5 miles out where there won't be too many other people if such an area exists. I'm just wondering mainly if I'll find birds wherever that may be. I'm seeing a lot regarding southwest Colorado.

Also in an effort to not blow out an area, pm me if possible. I have an otc tag for this spring until I meet the residency reqs. I'm not opposed to joining along with anyone here either. Thanks in advance for any info!
Hello
I am also new to Colorado and have spent 1 season turkey hunting, did a lot of research and boots on the ground. I found an area that locals considered a honey hole and ran into a large ground of jakes one day scouting. Come opening morning, never heard or seen a turkey in that same area. But driving on the local roads, came across several turkeys in the fields.
I would entertain partnering up with someone and scout areas?

Dan

dtrkyman

WKR
Lots of forest roads are closed at the beginning of season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ndheidmann
Have you considered the west slope? There are places you could pack in that would be far from a truck but also low enough to have turkeys. Think like oak brush and pinion juniper country.
Yeah, I've just starting looking that way now. Put in 20 miles over the last few days on the east slope and found one spot I like but to be safe I'm gonna look more west.

Lots of areas at 8 to 10,000 feet which I think is going to be too high for turkeys this early. Any recommendations on areas to look near that are lower?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I can’t really point out specific areas because they’re all coincidental with places I hunt. But look for valley floors in the 6000ft range. BLM country. Oak brush and pinyon juniper on the edges of creek bottoms. Farmsteads / homesteads. Big mature cottonwoods. Some ag / alfalfa fields never hurt.

About a week ago my wife and I saw one on the side of the highway going up a mountain pass at well over 10,000 ft where people are still backcountry skiing. I've never seen one up that high.

Overdrive

WKR
I wouldn't get to hung up on elevation, turkey's will be where they want to be. All the turkey's I've taken have been 8000' and above and always in the first 7-10 days of the season.

I've seen winter flocks up at 9k + when up cat hunting, this is mainly January and February I see this.

Plan to see lots of guys out in the woods, it's the first season after a long winter for most. Especially along the front range, I know nothing about the west slope when it comes to Turkey's.

blastro87

FNG

I am also considering a Colorado turkey hunt, possibly as soon as spring '23 but I have been leaning more towards the South West part of the state...no experience with high elevation turkeys, looking to gain some just to say I did it. I've considered it for quite some time and recently was thinking it would be a good way to explore an area or "areas" for possible future big game hunts....Good luck to you! Would love to know how you make out this spring!

Well opening day went as best as it could, gobblers were sounding off right away and within an hour had my gobbler.

Attachments

• Turkey24-922.jpg
    Turkey24-922.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 92

blastro87

FNG
Hunter Dan, if you dont mind me asking, what elevation did you have to hit to find your birds? We are considering a turkey hunt in colorado in the next few years. We try to hit a new state/area every year for a turkey. Did PA & WV last yr, hitting NE this year...WY, SD, KS, and CO are on my list for future travels...possibly even NM, ive heard its pretty cool country to chase birds in!

Bagabaga

FNG
My first post here!

Went out on opening day in northern front range and didn’t hear any around 6-8000 feet. It was horribly windy and even snowed some over night. We haven’t gotten our first turkey yet. My wife and I are brand new to hunting and she’s always wanted a turkey. We’re using crossbows.

Congrats on the turkeys! I hope I can join the ranks before end of season.

The birds will move higher depending on the snow line, so each year and even weeks can matter. The area I hunted was around 7500. But as you got to 8000 there was heavier snow amounts, but like I said before, in two weeks those birds will move up with the snow line.

Hunter Dan, if you dont mind me asking, what elevation did you have to hit to find your birds? We are considering a turkey hunt in colorado in the next few years. We try to hit a new state/area every year for a turkey. Did PA & WV last yr, hitting NE this year...WY, SD, KS, and CO are on my list for future travels...possibly even NM, ive heard its pretty cool country to chase birds in!
Whenever your ready to hunt Colorado, hit me up and I can steer you into right area. Its beautiful hunting gobblers in the mountains. They are very aggressive generally. I am no expert, but I have learned alot in the past few years.

Dan