Colorado backcountry turkeys

Bagabaga

FNG
Whenever your ready to hunt Colorado, hit me up and I can steer you into right area. Its beautiful hunting gobblers in the mountains. They are very aggressive generally. I am no expert, but I have learned alot in the past few years.

Dan
Not sure if you like beer but for some solid advice I’d pay for a pack of beer. Anyway I can piggyback on that offer? I’d love to get out and find one!

Thanks for considering!

blastro87

FNG
Whenever your ready to hunt Colorado, hit me up and I can steer you into right area. Its beautiful hunting gobblers in the mountains. They are very aggressive generally. I am no expert, but I have learned alot in the past few years.

Dan
I appreciate that offer! When the time comes I will certainly reach out, mainly for weather and snowline reports! And ill gladly extend to you the same offer! If you ever decide to travel to the northeast ill gladly point you in a good direction! Ive hunted several states in the northeast for turkeys. Plenty of birds to be had here! Just wish I had some other subspecies a bit closer to home, but hey, I love road trips!

Will_m

WKR
My first post here!

Went out on opening day in northern front range and didn’t hear any around 6-8000 feet. It was horribly windy and even snowed some over night. We haven’t gotten our first turkey yet. My wife and I are brand new to hunting and she’s always wanted a turkey. We’re using crossbows.

Congrats on the turkeys! I hope I can join the ranks before end of season.
If you really are brand new, you need to get a shotgun. Crossbows are only a step up from the novelty that is turkey hunting with a bow.

Walk before you run, man.

Bagabaga

FNG
If you really are brand new, you need to get a shotgun. Crossbows are only a step up from the novelty that is turkey hunting with a bow.

Walk before you run, man.
I have a shotgun and brought it on our trip. I’m a brand new hunter. Honestly I felt out of place stomping through the brush and woods making mediocre calls wearing orange. I was pretty worried about bears and predatory animals. We took it pretty easy because we’re not used to hiking in higher elevations. Probably hiked a couple miles off the road. It was super windy and chilly. Ended up getting snowed on in our camp. We didn’t hear a single bird up there

Will_m

WKR
I have a shotgun and brought it on our trip. I’m a brand new hunter. Honestly I felt out of place stomping through the brush and woods making mediocre calls wearing orange. I was pretty worried about bears and predatory animals. We took it pretty easy because we’re not used to hiking in higher elevations. Probably hiked a couple miles off the road. It was super windy and chilly. Ended up getting snowed on in our camp. We didn’t hear a single bird up there
I’ve been at it for years and I still stomp around and make mediocre calls. Hang with ‘em, it’ll happen!

Bagabaga

FNG
I’ve been at it for years and I still stomp around and make mediocre calls. Hang with ‘em, it’ll happen!
Thank you for the vote of confidence, we’re going back out first thing tomorrow and try a new spot. If not, we’re determined to locate them.

Jbehredt

WKR

Unless CPW has lost their minds recently there’s no requirement to wear orange Turkey hunting in CO. Maybe in the fall with a rifle but that I’m unsure of.

dtrkyman

WKR
Just back from a few days in CO. Hiked an average of 11 miles a day, all the good sign I found was basically in the first mile.

Had two hunts ruined by others, one real douche proceeded to walk the road between me and some birds I had coming, intentionally running them up the hill!

Another came in on a bird I was calling, stumbled down the hill into the bird and took 2 Hail Mary shots, crippling the bird, fortunately he was able to finish him off.

Birds are with hens heavy and stop gobbling as soon as they hit the ground!

Fortunately I did meet a few nice guys on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ndheidmann
Well opening day went as best as it could, gobblers were sounding off right away and within an hour had my gobbler.
Hey Dan congrats! I found one spot with birds that I'm going to go back to. My opening day I had about 4 birds roosted on a steep ridge. I set up too low on them and they flew down and moved across the mountainside at the same elevation for about 3 hours. I finally got ahead of them and above them and set up only for them to shut up on me once I called. After talking to some more experienced guys it sounds like I just needed to stay put for a while as he was likely coming to me. Anyway, I've put probably 50 miles on my boots checking areas all around the northern east slope. Only found sign and birds at one spot out of 7.

OP
Ndheidmann
My first post here!

Went out on opening day in northern front range and didn’t hear any around 6-8000 feet. It was horribly windy and even snowed some over night. We haven’t gotten our first turkey yet. My wife and I are brand new to hunting and she’s always wanted a turkey. We’re using crossbows.

Congrats on the turkeys! I hope I can join the ranks before end of season.
The wind is a real factor here. I've had a few days where it just gets too strong to hear anything or for them to hear you. Check the forecast for the area before you go as usually the winds pick up around 10 or 11 from what I've seen. I've hiked about 50 miles all around the areas north of Denver on the eastern slope and have only found one area with birds so it hasn't been easy! Talk to hikers, they love to tell you where they have seen them. Also, the gun counter at many sporting goods stores has helped for areas to hunt. Good luck to you guys!

OP
Ndheidmann

Dan
Dan, I might take you up on this offer as well if I don't bag one in the morning! Would love to save some boot rubber and learn from someone else who's already burned theirs!

Bagabaga

FNG
The wind is a real factor here. I've had a few days where it just gets too strong to hear anything or for them to hear you. Check the forecast for the area before you go as usually the winds pick up around 10 or 11 from what I've seen. I've hiked about 50 miles all around the areas north of Denver on the eastern slope and have only found one area with birds so it hasn't been easy! Talk to hikers, they love to tell you where they have seen them. Also, the gun counter at many sporting goods stores has helped for areas to hunt. Good luck to you guys!
Thanks! We went out today and got skunked again. We only had a hen calling back to us from our spot. On the drive home though I saw a bunch of hens in a farm field. Haven’t given up hope yet but I could really use some advice on where to go, went to gmu 511 and surrounding area and can’t tell if I’m just too low in elevation or if they just aren’t there.

blastro87

FNG
Thanks! We went out today and got skunked again. We only had a hen calling back to us from our spot. On the drive home though I saw a bunch of hens in a farm field. Haven’t given up hope yet but I could really use some advice on where to go, went to gmu 511 and surrounding area and can’t tell if I’m just too low in elevation or if they just aren’t there.
If you found hens and had one talking to you id say your in the right spot already. Id keep hunting right there if I was you

OP
Ndheidmann
Shoot me an email at [email protected]. I can't pm here yet as I'm too new to the forum.

Tyler C

FNG

Dan
Hi Dan,

I'm ready lol. Headed out to Pike NF this weekend.

dtrkyman

WKR
Good luck fellas, I bought my tag yesterday and will head up Friday, hope to find some birds away from the clown show at the trail heads this year!

Went back last year in May and killed one, came in hot and nobody was around!

Elsnowcat

FNG

Dan
Hey brother! Not asking for anything super specific as I know people get real protective over their burning spots, but I was just looking for some pointers when deciding an area for colorado spring Turkey