Colorado Bear Tag Price

I was kind of shocked to see that Colorado has dropped the non-res bear tag by $250 to $100. Is this due to the bear population swelling? Being on a budget and living in Kansas, this seems like a great way to get out for a early September archery hunt.

swampokie

WKR
I was kind of shocked to see that Colorado has dropped the non-res bear tag by $250 to $100. Is this due to the bear population swelling? Being on a budget and living in Kansas, this seems like a great way to get out for a early September archery hunt.
This exactly what they were hoping for when they changed it. Good luck

swampokie

WKR
They are banking on making up the difference in $ when all the leftover tags that usually go unsold are picked up by people that have never cared for killing a bear just because they’re cheap. Kinda like all the suckers they pulled in with 3$ points last year

• Banned
OP
kscreekguy
Well they got me. I have planning on buying a Arkansas or Oklahoma bear tag and hunt in the Ouachita range, but the Colorado tag is cheaper even with having to pick up a small game license.

swampokie

WKR
I tried the spot n stalk ouachita mountains in leflore county archery. Wow that is a challenge. Tried 2 years and never saw a bear until I got a lease set up a barrel. There are a lot more bears in Colorado. Just not as big on the top end

Yeah bears are becoming a constant nuisance in some areas. In fact they asked us the question on the planning call for ideas on getting more people involved in bear hunting. My suggestion was to open the season to general fall bear like they do in the NW. $100 is pretty affordable, plus bear is not small game so you don't need a small game license unless you are using that as a qualifying tag for a draw unit.

jm1607

WKR
I'm going to hunt Bears in Sept in CO for the 1st time ever this year. The price put me over the top on my decision and I have plenty of points for my unit. Going to keep my Antelope points in my back pocket one more year...

I'm excited but worried lol. Not scared, just worried I won't see any. Bears are so much different to hunt than Elk & Deer.. Hope I come across 1 or 2!

FYI, I've Spot & Stalked bears in the Ouachita's as well, tough hunt! Saw super fresh sign but no luck...

If I had seen more than exactly ONE bear in 4 years of elk hunting, I would probably do the same. I've seen plenty of bear sign where I have hunted, but only one actual bear, and it was nearly 1 mile away through my spotter. Still pretty cool, but probably not enough to make me just hunt bears. But I'll certainly add that tag to my elk tag for a "just in case" opportunity.

I'd love to do a dedicated bear hunt. Just don't have enough confidence that I could actually find one, within range. Maybe someday.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll have a bear rifle and archery tag for Sep. pretty cool I can finally get two tags where I hunt. Oh I’ll have an elk archery tag as well.

tdhanses

WKR
If I had seen more than exactly ONE bear in 4 years of elk hunting, I would probably do the same. I've seen plenty of bear sign where I have hunted, but only one actual bear, and it was nearly 1 mile away through my spotter. Still pretty cool, but probably not enough to make me just hunt bears. But I'll certainly add that tag to my elk tag for a "just in case" opportunity.

I'd love to do a dedicated bear hunt. Just don't have enough confidence that I could actually find one, within range. Maybe someday.

I see multiple bear a year, not always within archery range but there are a bunch out there, thing is it can be feast or famine, have to find the food souce.

I see multiple bear a year, not always within archery range but there are a bunch out there, thing is it can be feast or famine, have to find the food souce.
Yea, I definitely need to do more research. I didn't grow up around bears so it's all new to me. But for $100 I can learn, and that would be a great hunt.

tdhanses

WKR
Yea, I definitely need to do more research. I didn't grow up around bears so it's all new to me. But for $100 I can learn, and that would be a great hunt.

Well worth the cost as a secondary tag, also if you shoot a deer or elk just sit on the carcass, that’s a good way to usually see one.

Well worth the cost as a secondary tag, also if you shoot a deer or elk just sit on the carcass, that’s a good way to usually see one.
Yes but that might be a long boring uneventful sit. We've been back by elk carcasses in black bear country during archery a week after a kill and had no bear activity. Last year I found a cat kill cow elk carcass with one bear on it, and a week old human hunter bull carcass with no bear sign. Only a few miles from each other.

Sitting on a carcass might help your odds, but it sounds a lot like sitting in a stand over a feeder to me, which I can tell you is the most boring way to hunt known to man. LOL No thanks. Never wanted to hunt bears over bait either. Spot and stalk bear hunting sounds like a great time though. Just need to figure out where and when. I'm wondering how hard the Sept. rifle bear tags are to draw (if I'm reading that correctly). I know my CO resident son would be up for that hunt. Esp. in September.

Sitting on a carcass might help your odds, but it sounds a lot like sitting in a stand over a feeder to me, which I can tell you is the most boring way to hunt known to man. LOL No thanks. Never wanted to hunt bears over bait either. Spot and stalk bear hunting sounds like a great time though. Just need to figure out where and when. I'm wondering how hard the Sept. rifle bear tags are to draw (if I'm reading that correctly). I know my CO resident son would be up for that hunt. Esp. in September.
I get a rifle tag every year. They are not hard to come by. The concurrent [with caps] are nice because you can get one for your hunt area for elk or deer. Last year I picked up a rifle tag for the Sept. season which I may have worked harder on had I notched both of my elk tags early and had time left over.